Horseradish

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Christmas is here, for me that means prime rib and horseradish sauce. Can't get any spicy stuff around here, so that means make your own. It's rather easy and you can make it as hot or as mild as you'd like. Mom used to grate it by hand, I'm not sure how she managed to stay alive doing it that way, this stuff is pungent!

All you need is a horseradish root, peeler, knife, blender/grater/food processor, water, salt & vinegar.

ghI8Uyjh.jpg

Peel off all of the skin and cut the ends off.

vB3iftzh.jpg

Cut unto smaller to handle pieces and then dice it up. It's very fibrous, so be careful you don't slice your fingers off.

tSWhhI8h.jpg

Got about 1 1/2 cups

8hwsXoJh.jpg

WARNING! Make sure your exhaust hood is on high, or your windows are open or do this outside. If you have a gas mask, you can also use that.

Into the Blendtec with about 1/2 cup of water. You can use a blender, food processor, or grate it by hand. Now when you open the blender/food processor, keep your face away, you'll be hit by an invisible cloud of, of, WOW.

Spun for about 2 minutes. This needed a little more water and processing time. You know what prepared horseradish looks like.

qvSG0JWh.jpg

Now, how hot do you want it? If you don't want it real hot, throw a splash of vinegar in right away and blend for another 30 seconds or so. If you want it hotter wait 3-5 minutes befor adding the vinegar. I used about a shot glass full and also added a teaspoon of salt.

The older the horseradish gets, the darker it will become and less potent. Here's some remnants from a jar I had in the back of the fridge along with the fresh stuff.

yds3taMh.jpg

How spicy was this? Holy Mary Mother of God HOT!!! Your sinuses will be immediately cleared.

When I was growing up we had some horseradish growing in the garden.
My mom would grind it up using an old hand-crank grinder that clamped onto the kitchen table. I wish I had paid more attention to what she added to it.

I don't remember ever having prime rib in those days but we ate a lot of roast beef and it was really good with horseradish.

Now that I can afford to buy prime rib on occasion, I like horseradish on it. (To me, it just isn't proper prime rib without it.) I've never found any store-bought prepared horseradish that comes close to what mom used to make. Most I've tried have way too many unnecessary ingredients like sugar or corn syrup, not to mention all the preservatives.
Thanks for posting this Andy. Maybe with some tweaking, I can get it close mom's.

It's basically just horseradish, salt, water & vinegar. I've seen some recipes that add some sugar, but mom never did, so neither do I. She'd also make a batch with beets, that made it a bit sweeter and cut down the heat.

Heat level is based on how fresh your horseradish is and when you add the vinegar. Once you start breaking the fibers, it gives off some chemical which is where the pungency comes from. The longer it sits, the hotter it gets. The vinegar basically neutralizes it and sets the heat level.

The Google can probably lead you to some articles on how it all works.

That's cool, Andy. I never made my own.
Was gonna grow it years ago but all I read told me that once you plant it, you'll never get rid of it...

Was gonna grow it years ago but all I read told me that once you plant it, you'll never get rid of it...

Hahaha!!!! Yes sir! I remember years ago soon after I got married, I planted some in the back and brought some over to mom & dad. My dad just started laughing & laughing. Mom came out of the kitchen to see what was so funny, she started laughing and said you'll now have a lifetime supply.

I tried killing that stuff for years. Plastic tarps, vegetation killer, none of that fazed it. Was still growing when we sold the house, I bet it's still there even after 30 years.

Thanks Andy! I would love to try that, as I don't care much for the store bought stuff. I like it to clear my head and sinuses out! I've never seen the root around here though. But after hearing about it's proliferation I don't really want to plant it either, lol.

There really is something magical about horseradish sauce!

Thanks for the tutorial. Also really interesting that once planted you have a lifetime supply ;-)

Maybe plant it in a pot? Would that work? lol

That does work, but use a big pot.
By far and away the best store brand horseradish I have found is "Atomic", it will clear your sinuses. Only place I have seen it are Smart&Final and Sprouts in the refrigerated section.

Very cool and helpful post. I have been thinking of making some too. A friend at work has a bunch he would give. If you have never tried it on a burger it's really good!

Back