Homemade stock - how long is it good?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Not sure there is a place for this on the board, but I know many of you are pretty knowledgeable on food safety issues.

I made a batch of bone broth in my pressure cooker after Thanksgiving with the turkey bones and carcass and some pork rib bones I had saved in the freezer.

Best batch of broth I've ever made -- jelled up like it was made of Jell-o! I put it in two large quart sized glass jars that have the rubber-sealed, lever lock lids and put in the fridge.

So nearly 4 weeks later the jars of stock still look and smell fine. I started to dump one out but the jelled stock looked so promising I didn't throw out the other one. I want to use it in some soup, but . . . ?

What do you think? I'm be pressure cooking the pea soup so it will get hot, but I don't want to make people sick if that's a possibility here.

This post seems to suggest it is fine -- mine has a nice layer of fat on the top of the bottle:

https://www.myhumblekitchen.com/201...preserved-6-months-canning-freezing-required/

I freeze both my chicken and beef stock in quart plastic deli containers like this:

5704f1c4-20ff-455b-b56f-b719fd7786cd_1.b6d748e78f559700979c9760c43f5da6.jpeg

Months have gone by before I used the stock. I have had some in the freezer for ten months before use. YMMV, but I'd think that if it stays frozen, you should be OK.

It'll be fine after 4 weeks in the fridge, but freeze the rest. The fat is a preservative.

I also freeze my broths / stocks. I fill vac-seal bags, refrigerate to let them thicken, then vac-seal and freeze them. Always convenient to use and a time saver for sure.

My son use to condense veg and beef stock and freeze in ice cube trays and store them in freezer bags He would just have to pull out a couple when he wanted to use them Worked great

I've used month old stock lots of times. I think you'll be fine but freeze what you don't use.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Yup freeze stock in the future and since you are planning to pressure cooker your stock to make soup (for at least 20 min under pressure) you will be fine.

Back