Fire and Ice

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big Daddy
unnamed (49).jpg

unnamed (50).jpg

unnamed (51).jpg

unnamed (52).jpg

On October 23 we going to our local camp ground for a 9 day camping trip, along with at least 10 couples to our local camp ground(Lake End Park). Friday night we going to fry up some catfish, shrimp stew, with plenty of white beans, French fries and other goodies.

I found some pork butt on sale and deboned them and salted each slab with 1 teaspoon of Morton tender quick and topped off with kosher salt. In-between each layer I also sprayed a little vinegar. I wrapped up and placed in fridge till Friday morning. We'll use some of the salted meat to flavor the white beans.

Are you sure you used enough salt? To be honest, my only real knowledge of salted pork comes from Townsend's 18th Century Cooking video on the subject, and he used cups of salt.

Ah, salt pork. For something that's been around since the Roman days, you don't see many people making it. What was the weight of each piece of pork, the 1 tsp of TQ seems light. And what does the vinegar do?

Ah, salt pork. For something that's been around since the Roman days, you don't see many people making it. What was the weight of each piece of pork, the 1 tsp of TQ seems light. And what does the vinegar do?

Each piece a pound or a little over. I just cut the nitrates in half or so and finish with the salt. In the south for the most part its pre boiled first then added to other dishes like the post in "salt pork" listed. I made for a $1 a pound, instead of 4 bucks or so. I used Boston butt but usually its made with the ham portion around in the South

Each piece a pound or a little over. I just cut the nitrates in half or so and finish with the salt. In the south for the most part its pre boiled first then added to other dishes like the post in "salt pork" listed. I made for a $1 a pound, instead of 4 bucks or so. I used Boston butt but usually its made with the ham portion around in the South

We either use pork belly or the outer fattier meat strips from a butt. TQ calls for 1 tablespoon/pound when dry curing. And one thing in your favor is that TQ has both nitrites, and nitrates. The nitrites go to work right away and the nitrates are kind of a time release.

Back