Holiday meat platter 2022

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I personally don't eat a lot of sweets, and I think many people get overloaded with that sort of thing around this time of year, so a few years back I began packing up homemade bacon, sausage, and other meat products to hand out instead.

The 2022 edition features roasted garlic and jalapeno bratwurst, cheddar bratwurst, a roll of breakfast sausage, and a few different types of bacon. I got some Duroc bellies from a local shop for only $.50/lb more than the Costco bellies I'd bought in previous years, so I went with those instead. I also picked up a $.99/lb pork loin from Costco and made a batch of "Canadian bacon" (not pictured) using thirdeye's recipe, which has always been a big hit in previous years. The belly bacon I did is 2x bourbon maple syrup with red chili flakes and 1x porchetta seasoning mix (my personal favorite)

Happening right now with a smoke tube in my Hunsaker drum:

Some butts I got on sale @ $.99/lb, pretty good price for these days. I'll render the fat for lard.

A couple passes through the grinder

I roasted some garlic in the oven

I charred the jalapenos up with some leftover heat on the Primo and removed the skin

All stuffed up and into the fridge to air dry

Filled the pellet tube twice resulting in about 9 hours in the smoke. I don’t know if that’s long enough or not, but that’s all I will do. This is my first time making bacon using a cold smoke method. Prior to cold smoking I sat each belly on a wire tray in the fridge to air dry and develop a pellicle.

Christmas time is officially tamale season, so I prepped some chopped brisket point and misc end pieces I’ve saved and frozen from a couple recent brisket cooks.

I approach this as a fusion recipe and mix a traditional chile based sauce comprised of three different peppers and mix it with one of my favorite OG KC sauces - Jack Stack Spicy.

Tomorrow I will prep the masa and make the tamales using this chopped burnt end based filling

Looks good to me. I've noticed if I cold smoke for too long the smoke is overwhelming. 8-10 was good, 14-18 was way too much.

Due to concerns about the smoke tube snuffing out from lack of O2 I had the intake and exhaust fully open as well as the lid cracked a bit, so I’m hoping that it’s not “too much”. Guess we shall see tomorrow!

I usually cold smoke in my FEC. I'll turn on the draft fan while the smoke tube is doing it's thing.

Waiting to hear the outcome. :pop2:

Back