Holding brisket in Cambro for extended time

We too like ours to sit in the cambro for at least a couple hours prior to slicing.. just goes to show that there's more than one way to produce winning brisket.

Keeping at holding temp of 150-195 is not resting. It is holding, the juices are still flowing at those temps. So actually holding that long in a cambro dries the inside of the meat out more. We have tested this many times.

So, IF you screwed up and had to hold meat for a couple hours what would you do? Just let it sit out?

So if you need that 4 hour window due to space constraints on your cooker, is the better move to pull at your finish temp and leave at a holding temp in the Cambro or is it smarter to pull the brisket a couple hours early and leave sealed in a hot Cambro to truly finish cooking?

surprised the food safety police havent jumped on this....

are you just sayin' or sounding the alarm?

i've been tipped, that some VERY highly successful teams(as well as jacked up)also use this method.

i haven't tried myself, so can't say, but, how long would it take for a 10# pc of meat, lightly wrapped, to drop from 200 plus degrees to below 140?

i'm guessing, quite a while.

now, i'm just sayin'.

Last edited:
surprised the food safety police havent jumped on this....

Food police jump on what a 200 degree piece of meat sitting wrapped up well over temp danger zone? My sanitation and food safety is top notch, please dont question that. Health departments thank me at events we cook out of our vending site. There are MUCH BIGGER sanitation issues at comps, like porta potties and people taking a leak and walking back to there site with no handwash, which I have with HOT WATER. There is nothing unsanitary about that.

Food police jump on what a 200 degree piece of meat sitting wrapped up well over temp danger zone? My sanitation and food safety is top notch, please dont question that. Health departments thank me at events we cook out of our vending site. There are MUCH BIGGER sanitation issues at comps, like porta potties and people taking a leak and walking back to there site with no handwash, which I have with HOT WATER. There is nothing unsanitary about that.

So the health department would thank you for allowing ready to serve food to sit on a counter for 2 hours?

Nice strawman with the handwashing though...

Q. "The instructions on the ham said it would take about 4 hours to cook, but the thermometer read 160 °F after 3 hours. The problem is that we won't be eating for another 2 hours. Can I leave it out on the counter covered with foil?"

A. That's not a good idea. Bacteria that cause foodborne illness can contaminate safely cooked food left out at room temperature. Scientists have found that after 2 hours at room temperature, bacteria can multiply on foods to high enough levels to cause illness. Since the ham will be out extra time for carving and serving, it's better to cover it and keep it in a 200 °F oven until you're ready to serve it. Check the ham with a food thermometer to make sure it doesn't go below an internal temperature of 140 °F while it's in the oven.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Hotline_Answers_Panic_Button_Questions/index.asp

:boink:

If you need to rest it for a couple of hours like Jacked Up, wrap it in a towel or a moving blanket, that's good enough. Large meats like a brisket or pork butt will stay hot for four hours like this.

If you have a lonely brisket in a Cambro by itself, and you need to hold it for a long time, Cambro makes an insulated shelf that slides in like a tray and reduces the amount of open space. You can hold a single piece of meat a long time this way. Pull it out when you start adding more stuff to the Cambro. (It's also useful if you want to load a lot of stuff in the Cambro and you don't want newly added hot meats to start cooking stuff that's already there.)

http://cool.cambro.com/ThermoBarriers_Temperature_Maintenance_Tools_Insulated_Transport.ashx

So the health department would thank you for allowing ready to serve food to sit on a counter for 2 hours?

Nice strawman with the handwashing though...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Hotline_Answers_Panic_Button_Questions/index.asp

:boink:

Obviuosly you are not up to date on your sanitation rules. Do you know anything about the two stage cooling method? If so two hours on a counter wrapped up would be no problem at all with the HD. But back to a cambro, they are not made for resting meats. But if you need one, I guess that is your best bet.

I have 2 28 qt coolers I keep meat in. I pull them off the smoker n straight to the cooler (not unwrapping). 1 cooler for briskets (2 flats and a point) and the other for 2 butts. I've never noticed any continuous cooking after that. They are usually in the coolers 3-5 hrs.

Obviuosly you are not up to date on your sanitation rules. Do you know anything about the two stage cooling method? If so two hours on a counter wrapped up would be no problem at all with the HD. But back to a cambro, they are not made for resting meats. But if you need one, I guess that is your best bet.

awww...that's cute, you sure do love a strawman...Anyway, the process you described isnt a "two stage cooling method". That would mean that after your 2 hours of sitting on the counter, which isn't a part of the process anyway, you then further chilled the brisket to 70-41 degrees.

http://www.ksda.gov/includes/document_center/food_safety/Food_Safety/49TwoStageCooling.pdf

Reminder: Food should not be left out on the counter to cool under any circumstances.

Two stage cooling does not mean leaving it on the counter for 2 hours.

I dont doubt that lots of folks do it. I am sure that it also happens before the meat is cooked. Everyone is going to do what they feel is safe and gives them the best chance to win, but the HD isnt going to bless leaving ready to eat food sitting on a counter for 2 hours.

So I thought...well maybe things are different in Ocean County, so I called.

http://www.ochd.org/

Said I had a food safety question. Said I had cooked a large roast and it was done a little early and we wouldnt be eating for 2 hours. Spoke with a nice fellow, Ken Wenrich, who suggested that I hold the roast in my oven @ 140 or so until it was time to eat. That leaving it on the counter probably wasnt the best idea.

I think that the point is that a cambro is a holding cabinet and will probably hold your meat at whatever temp you put it in at. Resting and holding are not the same things and aren't interchangeable.
Holding is probably what you want to do if you are finished 4 hours early. Resting is what you want to do before you slice up your brisket or pull your pork.

WOW you are a bored person. Nothing different about the two stage. The two stage cooling method in a USDA certified is a real process that has nothing to do with an HD guy who only took the same servsafe test as you. What I am saying is if they allow to have meat sit out to get to 70 degrees, there is nothing wrong with a brisket sitting on a counter wrapped for two hours. Back to the point again, cambros are for catering.

I dont agree, at all, been using one for yrs....:crazy:

Whatever works for you. I answered a question and obviously offended the cambro lovers! hahahaha:thumb: Keep the cambro going if it works for you. I stated my opinion. Somehow it turned into a sanitation course. Cambro on redneck!

Whatever works for you. I answered a question and obviously offended the cambro lovers! hahahaha:thumb: Keep the cambro going if it works for you. I stated my opinion. Somehow it turned into a sanitation course. Cambro on redneck!

Thank ya, thank ya verrry muchhh!!
:becky::becky::whoo:

offended? never.....lol..

Back