Hog Roasted Whole with BBQ Stew

Be VERY careful of the sharp metal the various parts are made from as it will cut human flesh like a razor. Also, the metal edges that line the cooker get very hot. I still have the stripes (scars) on my arm to prove it. When you have to reach inside the cooker to flip the hog, for example, make sure you don't accidentally touch the metal lined edges of the cooker with your arm.

I remember that thread - the cooker that sliced and diced the cook. :shocked::shocked:
Honestly thought it was already chopped up and used as firewood by now.

Mad props to run another pig.... delicious looking results.

Bo,

Thanks for taking the time to type all that! It is very helpful!!! I'll post some pics if I survive the weekend. We're doing a whole cuban themed thing with mojo injection, black beans and rice, plantains etc... This thread couldn't be any more timely! Thanks again!

Amazing color on that little piggy! I've eaten them when they were almost black when they came out and it was very dry meat.

picture.php

I've heard of people sticking one of those maze smoker kits inside the LCC to get smoke flavor without using a Smoke Pistol.

Yep, I have to admit, it's a pretty easy way to cook a pig. The hard part is the clean up. The cooker doesn't have a drain. While cleaning it I was thinking it should be renamed the La Caja Pain in the Butt to Clean! :laugh:
You got that right! :doh: We normally let it sit overnite and clean up the next day as most of the juice and meat coagulates into a jelly. Then we shovel the majority of it into a heavy duty trash bag and wash the caja down with hot water and dawn dish soap and some scrubbies, brushes, etc... The worst part is when your hung over and the smell of the grease hits you, yuck. Definitely PITA!

Re: smoking - why cant you just throw some lump in with the coals?

Please excuse my ignorance, I do my whole hogs on a cinder block pit.

Re: smoking - why cant you just throw some lump in with the coals?

Please excuse my ignorance, I do my whole hogs on a cinder block pit.

It's a sealed box when cooking. The coals are outside and directly above the cooking chamber. Just like cooking with your dutch oven by putting hot coals on the top lid.

Back