High Heat on a WSM: A pictorial guide

I have always done butts at 225-250 on my wsm. For those of you that do high heat butts, how long does an average butt take, and do you notice a difference in the finished product? This is great stuff, you brethren are the best teachers around.

I have always done butts at 225-250 on my wsm. For those of you that do high heat butts, how long does an average butt take, and do you notice a difference in the finished product? This is great stuff, you brethren are the best teachers around.
On average they take 5-6 hours for a 6-8 lb butt. The only difference I have noticed is a bit less bark...no difference in smoke, taste, or texture.

Excellent pictorial guide! :thumb: I don't have a WSM but have found your past high heat posts to be very helpful to cooking high heat on my Egg. Thanks!

Great tutorial. Do you ever have to add any lump, or will the initial load carry you all the way through?

Great tutorial. Do you ever have to add any lump, or will the initial load carry you all the way through?

As long as I fill the charcoal ring to a mound (up and over the top), I can get the initial load to carry me all the way through. That's for both briskys and butts.

WSM High Heat Method

Thanks. I have a WSM, but have not tried it out yet. I am looking forward to doing so. I too am a fan of the high heat method on my other pits as I rarely have time to spend 12-15 hours on a single cook.

Hey Saiko, that looks great. When you say 'finishing sauce' do you baste the butt at all with it, or is it more of a 'serving sauce'. If you also baste with it, at what point do you put it on.

Thanks

Hey Saiko, that looks great. When you say 'finishing sauce' do you baste the butt at all with it, or is it more of a 'serving sauce'. If you also baste with it, at what point do you put it on.
Thanks

After I chop the pork, I mix in a little bit at a time till it tastes how I want it. People can still top a pork sammy or plate with a sweet tomato based sauce, even after the vinegar sauce has been mixed in.

Thanks for the nice write up. Do you ever rotate your food between the two grates or do you find they tend to be done around the same time without rotating?

Nice play by play....I love my high temp briskets and just recently did a high temp butt. But thanks for the times and details, I hadn't kept any of my times for pork :thumb:

Great tutorial. I have a 18.5 WSM. I am new to this and after attending a class by Ed at KickAssBBQ I did some butts hot and fast. I had no trouble reaching 300 degrees using briquettes. No need to prop the side door open. If you try to go hotter you will need to do this. Lump works good but you can use briquettes IMHO.

nice writeup ! another idea if you are going to do a lot of high temp cooks is to add another vent to the top lid. as the setup is now the single outlet is choking the flow of air for that purpose.

To get higher temps in your wsm add a 2nd top vent to the lid. I hate to crack the lid open or prop the door. If you want even higher heat add a 3rd vent to the lid. Now your exhaust ratio is equal to your intake ratio = High Heat.

Back