High Heat Brisket on BGE...

John, that looks awesome! Just in time for my bedtime snack! Never did a whole brisket before, is it better seperating it before cooking? Those burt ends look fantastic! No point to be found here on Kauai.

Awesome thread! That was really interesting and that smoke ring looks killer to me. I do the same thing I don't preheat the kettle I just go straight from the fridge to the kettle then bring the temp up and I always get a killer smoke ring. No tender quick here.

Looks good! I probably would have left the flat in the cooler longer, but thats just me!

I agree...but we were hungry! :lol:

John, that looks awesome! Just in time for my bedtime snack! Never did a whole brisket before, is it better separating it before cooking? Those burnt ends look fantastic! No point to be found here on Kauai.

I usually don't separate them...only at comps when we're trimming for turn in box size. I separated this one because I was trimming away a lot of discolored fat and meat...plus it fit on the 18 inch BGE better. :p

Great thread, JD! Hot and Fast can be hit and miss.
However, your flat looks hittable. What happened to the Ends, Man?

Thanks Steph...the flavor was great and it was fork tender...just not as juicy as I like 'em. The ends disappeared pretty quickly when Rhana got home...I saved a few for swamprb so he can taste the flavor...not sure if they'll make over to his place today though...:twisted::lol:

looks great JD! Great looking smokering too! Seems like the long rest in the cooler really makes a difference on the moisture... But, sometimes the stomach out-ranks da' rules! =)

Looks great! Thanks for the post. Lots of good info. Never tried "hot n fast" but you got me thinking about it!?!?

I go strait from the frig to the grill without preheating to get a really good smoke ring also.

JD, you foiled at 170*ish and cooked till done. OK what determines done?? The butter test or a temp??

I want to do a brisket next(just a neophite at smok-in) and don't want to wait or spend a whole day as I did with my first butts (pron to be posted soon). I think I can maintain 350* on my SS UDS, as 240* for 12 hours was a breeze.

If there are better instructions on hot and fast just point me in that direction and I will see what others are doing and how sucessful they are.

Thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS

JD, you foiled at 170*ish and cooked till done. OK what determines done?? The butter test or a temp??

I want to do a brisket next(just a neophite at smok-in) and don't want to wait or spend a whole day as I did with my first butts (pron to be posted soon). I think I can maintain 350* on my SS UDS, as 240* for 12 hours was a breeze.

If there are better instructions on hot and fast just point me in that direction and I will see what others are doing and how successful they are.

Thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS

Hi Paul...to me done is when you can insert a probe into the meat and it slides in with little to no resistance. I put the thermometer probe in after foiling to give me a ballpark to shoot for. I start checking for doneness @190.

Paul Ostram over on The Pickled Pig has a great tutorial as well.
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/703-award-winning-competition-brisket.html

Nice looking job JD, I found my last flat a little dry going hot-n-fast hybrid method, if I do a small flat again, I will probably try injecting.

Hi Paul...to me done is when you can insert a probe into the meat and it slides in with little to no resistance. I put the thermometer probe in after foiling to give me a ballpark to shoot for. I start checking for doneness @190.

Paul Ostram over on The Pickled Pig has a great tutorial as well.
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/703-award-winning-competition-brisket.html

Do you poke to test for doneness through the foil?? I've got the SS UDS and opening them up is a pain controlling the heat. Ya I know shut down for a couple before looking, but still.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the thread by Paul(good name :biggrin:).

Paul B

Do you poke to test for doneness through the foil?? I've got the SS UDS and opening them up is a pain controlling the heat. Ya I know shut down for a couple before looking, but still.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the thread by Paul(good name :biggrin:).

Paul B

Nope...I open the foil to probe for doneness. I usually set them on a side table next to the smoker so I can put the lid back on. I use my thermapen as a probe and kill two birds with one stone...temp and tenderness. It also gives me a good idea what a typical "done temp" is (and they all vary a bit)...:p

Back