Hi, my name is Hank and I have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
I have too many grills. It all started back in '73 when we got married and got an 18" Weber BBQ for a wedding present. I didn't even take it out of the box for a couple years. But I had heard they worked well so I finally unpacked it, got a rack of baby backs and followed directions to prepare it using the indirect method. Holy Cow, those were good ribs! I realized how badly I'd screwed up by not using it sooner. What I didn't realize was that I'd started something that would eventually get out of hand. While the kids grew it wasn't really a problem. I used the grill now and then and it never disappointed, but 18 1/2" just wasn't quite enough for the four of us.

In the '90s I decided to reward myself for something I no longer remember and bought a 22" Weber kettle. I succumbed to a hot red model with an ash bucket and thermometer in the lid handle. Aficionados will recognize this as a Mastertouch. For a few more years that was enough to satisfy my cravings.

Somewhere about that time I also got a Coleman propane grill, my first gasser. It has a side burner and heat resistant glass and burners that put out way too much heat. I suppose it would be good for grilling steaks, but that wasn't my style. I was already leaning toward low 'n slow and this just didn't do it. But I still use the side burner to light chimneys full of charcoal. And it's good for roasting corn on the cob (husk on.)

A couple years ago I decided to take low 'n slow to a new level. I bought an 18 1/2" Weber Smoky Mountain. Yes, I'm drinking their kool-aid. About this time I discovered Internet forums dedicated to making the best use of back yard cooking equipment. I learned hot wo get the best out of my WSM and took my cooking to a new level. I get results that amaze me.

P1000698-800.jpg

And I discovered Craigslist. And that's when things started to get out of hand. Last year I bought a 12 year old Weber Silver A - a nice small two burner gasser. It needed flavorizers and I got lucky and found a stainless set on CL. It needed a grate and I found that one that had been in our back yard since we moved in fit admirably well. It's actually a super grate with slots about the same size as the bars (50% duty cycle is how I think about it) and bars that are about 3/4" top to bottom. There's a lot of mass to produce good grill marks. Better yet, that grate is a perfect fit in a 22 1/2" Weber kettle. Set on the grate, the corners just touch the bowl and there is just enough space to open the hinged part of the grate.

I also decided that I needed to upgrade to a Performer to get some working surface. I bought one that was missing the propane lighter and charcoal bin (and which I later found out was actually a model called the Platinum.) The important part about it is the work surface and it s thus one of the more used members of my collection.

Then I saw a 10 year old Silver B on CL free for the taking. I cleaned it up and it worked great. Style wise it was a perfect match with my Silver A and they made a great pair. Until I saw an '05 Gold B listed for $40 on CL (with tank.) It became my next acquisition and I sold off the Silver B.

P1010273-PP.JPG

I also couldn't resist the Q220 with the nice cart that went for $30. It's just cool.

DSC_4007-PP.JPG

I did step out of the Weber fold to get a hibachi. I got a Lodge Sportsman's Grill. I like Lodge stuff but I'm not sure this up to their typical quality, but it is great for grilling and roasting red peppers.

DSC_4187-PP.JPG

Am I done? Just this week I bought a Weber Go Anywhere for $5. Another CL find. I was going to cannibalize the handles for one of my older grills but now that I see it, I hate to do that. It's so cute!

2012-03-12_18-17-51_943.jpg

But my real dream is to find the next biggter Weber kettle - the 26 3/4. Then build a cart for it with a concrete counter top, sort of like an oversize performer. It won't have the propane igniter in the bowl, but I could build a side burner into the top to use for cooking and lighting charcoal. Fitst I have to find a 26 on CL at a decent price.

Do I have a problem? Yes. Do I intend to do anything about it? Heck no! This is so much cheaper than chasing loose women plus SWMBO approves. :-D

so, hi folks.

Welcome to our little slice of the interwebs. If you look at some of the signatures around here you will see you are actually behind. Good luck catching up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back