Here we go again Primo Oval XL vs XL Egg

Both of these grills, including the Kamado Joe Big Joe have approximately the same amount of cooking area. The oval shape of the Primo might lend itself well to certain things, as shown in this thread.

Low and slo is no problem on any of these grills.

Heat distribution is no problem on any of these grills.

The one thing you should keep in mind when you pose questions like this is that the owners of each will tell you why they like theirs better, which is good!

My suggestion is to compare the two based on what you like. Check out the accessories available for each and then compare them based on price. There probably isn't a lot of difference in price between the Primo and the Egg. Which one do you like the looks of the best? I promise you that each of them are excellent grills/smokers.

I looked at both and bought the xl egg because it was cheaper, better dealer support, and more accessories available for the egg vs the primo. I love it. Cooked 8 good size butts on it before with the ceramic grill stores adjustable rig. Holds temps great for low and slow and has no problem doing 700+ for searing. And it matched my large egg:-D

The major benefit I see with the Egg, besides being a couple hundred bucks cheaper, is the fact there's a dealer about 10 miles away with a dedicated, year-round display. I have only been to one Primo dealer and had to see their demo unit that they'd moved to the back warehouse and was covered in grease from their cooking. So, dealer-wise, the Egg is ahead. However, I'll give due diligence and check out other dealers.

Back