Help with whole pig

chrislapham

Brethren, I need your advice!!!

My son has decided he wants to serve his country. He's joined the army with hopes of becoming special ops. His ship date is about a week away so we're having a big send off party for him tomorrow.

Couple days ago he hits me with dad, can we do a whole hog? Absolutely I say, I'll go to the end of the earth to make it happen. I was hoping to find a hog in the 125lb range, but on such short notice, all I got was no can do. (Which I expected) However, I got lucky and found a butcher that had two cookie cutters that totaled 112lbs. Score!

My family does a luau every summer and we bury a hog. We've been doing it so long, we just "know" how to do it and when it's done. No temping, just feel. The thing is we always bury these guys with lava rock, banana leaves and burlap. He wants these two done on the smoker.

I'm cooking on a 30 x 96 Shirley fab straight back. Im thinking I'd like to butterfly but maybe racer style is better? Thoughts? I tend to cook at 250-260, I'm not really a hot and fast guy. Any thoughts on cook time for 2 pigs right around 55-56lbs apiece? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Along with the pigs I got a 12lb HEB packer I picked up on my way back from Tuscaloosa, 4lbs of brats, and 20lbs of chicken quarters.

Btw... most importantly we have a full keg of Lagunitas IPA to keep me going along the way.

Help me, lol. Thanks guys!

I'm not any help on this subject but I can move it to the top where other will see it easily.

Good luck and thank you to your son!

I too have no practical experience but found this informative for what it's worth. We have folks that know alot more here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w3AVSNzxT4"]3 Pig Roast Barbecue by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube[/ame]

Good Luck!

Can't help on the whole hog, BUT.... If the Lagunitas IPA is anywhere near as good as their APA "5th of Never", you've got nothing to worry about! :mrgreen:

Since you have a tried and true methos for cooking whole hogs, have you considered partially smoking it traditionally, then using your tried and true method. You really only need a few hours of smoke to get thats flavor profile.

This keg is the 12th of never, so my confidence is high, haha.

I've thought about mixing methods, but the full blown luau style pig is a giant undertaking. Thinking about it though...

Back