Help with a big brisket cook

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
I have been asked to cook for a wedding. I'm cooking 2 briskets. 1 is 14 lbs and the other is 19. They are both prime briskets. I cook on an off set smoker I built with oak. I basically cook till I get the right color wrap and cook till probe tender.

My rig isn't very big. I have a bottom rack and a top rack. If I lay both briskets on the bottom rack point towards fire box it'll have a foot or so to the fire box which worries me about charring. Now if I lay both laying width ways with the smoker it gives me more room but I'll be cooking in different temp zones.

The other way I considered was all the way away from fire box one on bottom and one on top which also will give different temps. And one will drip on the other. How will that affect flavor or appearance?

What do you guys recommend? Obviously if I do side by side the bigger one will be closer to the fire or on the top rack so it will cook at a high temp. And hopefully be closer to being done around the same time.

Also dinner is at 7:15. What time do you guys recommend me starting while cooking at a range of 250-300 and have 2 or so hours of rest?

I hope the brisket is good enough to eat without bbq sauce but some people prefer that so I was thinking about making Frankilins Texas style basic sauce he has in his book. Has anyone tried this?

Back