help w/ brining

I would use a ziploc, but I haven't found one large enough to fit the loins./QUOTE]

They make em big enough (hard to find, though), but they're expensive and you probably already have a trash bag handy.

Coolers are great. They keep hot food hot and cold food cold. I just can't figure out how they know the difference. :p:becky:

Here's what I'do, FWIW. Cut the loin in 2 or 3 chunks and put them into a 2 or 2.5 gallon ziplock with your brine. Put your chickens in ziplocks with brine. Put bags in 5 gallon Igloo water cooler, cover with ice & put the lid on. If the meat and the brine are cold (less than 40*) when you put them in the cooler one load of ice should last long enough to get the job done.

We use bus trays to brine and we have a big boy cooler can fit 2 bus trays inside. Place 3 8 lbs bags in cooler close the lid. :thumb:

Just my two cents worth. If you are cheap like me and do not want to buy ice take some old milk jugs fill with water and freeze. This will make you some nice block ice that will last longer than cubes. Several blocks in a cooler should last for a long time with out worrying about your brine getting warm.

I do the same thing. The block ice keeps everything cold without dilution and does last longer than cubes.

I have a mix of gallon and half gallon milk jugs filled about 3/4 full of water in my freezer at any given time. I also have about a half dozen half liter water bottles in there as well. As I add to the freezer and need space, I take out jugs. When I take food out, I put them back in. Your freezer will be more efficient if it's completely full. Food will also keep longer in the event of a power outage or if your freezer craps put unexpectedly.

The water bottles do double duty...They fit nicely in my 3 gallon round cooler that I usually use to brine whole birds. (I put the bird and brine in an oven bag in the cooler) They are also great to drop into a pot of sauce, soup, or chili to help cool it down fast.

Chris

Back