Help: need a therm with a stem shorter than 2.5"

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
my red box smoker came with a really small therm with tiny print. it is 1.5" dial with a 2" stem. i am looking for a 2" or 3" dial therm with a stem that is shorter than 2.5". anybody know of one? i found this tel-tru with a clip which would be nice since all the therms i have found don't have long enough threads to reach thru the insulated walls so mounting with a nut is not an option. the problem is that it has a 2.5" stem. the therm mounts on the top of the cooker so i think the 2.5" stem would be touching the meat.

tel_tru_2_2.5_1000-cl-2.jpg

Move your meat 1/4" either way.

Sounds simple enough but the racks are only 12x13 with 4.5" of clearance. Maybe 4" of clearance is enough.

Edit: the stem is 1.5" so 2.5" wouldn't really work with the therm mounted on top of the cook chamber.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you have a backmount thermo with pipe threads (NPT), you can probably put together a couple flanges and a fitting to secure a "pipe" between the walls and give you internal threads to screw the thermo into that. You could also extend that to limit the effective length of the probe further as needed.

Back