Help Me! My Arm is Going Bald! Work Sharp Has Landed!

Sly-one

Full Fledged Farker
I've never been able to get a good sharp edge on a knife using a wet-stone, and even crock sticks only did a fair job for me. I guess you could say I'm "sharpening impaired". I usually had to resort to taking my knives over to Grayeagle to sharpen for me.
Recently I've had some luck using some of the things I read about here on the forum. I established an edge using one of the hand held sharpeners with carbide blades, but learned the hard way not to use too much force. Several light swipes with that, and then use the fine ceramic stick side of the small Smith's hand held sharpener. That gave me satisfactory results, in that it could remove a few hairs from my arm and cut veggies acceptably well. But, when watching YouTube videos of things like how to dice onions, I saw that their knifes virtually fell through the onion, using very little force. I could dice an onion like that, but I had to sometimes exert a bit more force than they were using. Hmmm.
My Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener arrived. I took it over to Greyeagle's house because he said he had a few dull knives that his son brought over, and we could test it out on those knives instead of possibly ruining one of our own knives, lol.. All I can say is "WOW"!!!!! I put an edge on an old Boker carving knife that made an entire patch of hair jump off my arm. After he checked the Boker's sharpness, Greyeagle smiled and handed me his prized Henckels 10" Chef's Knife. The Work Sharp put the same kind of shaving edge on it in about two minutes, using the P220 and the 6000 grit belts. Oh Yeah!
I then went on to sharpen his wife's favorite Henckels Utility Knife, two Old Hickory Knives, a serrated bread knife and a carbon steel 13 or 14" scimitar knife that his wife's grandfather used to use. All of them took their turns being tested on my arm and all made the hairs literally jump off in clump, leaving bare spots all over.
I then went home and sharpened 9 different knives that I use periodically, plus a small file-type sheath knife that I carry in my truck for emergencies. All of these also took a turn removing patches of hair from my arm.
My left arm has just about run out of places to test my knives, and I might have to resort to slicing pieces of paper for a test.:laugh:
All in all, I have found my knife sharpening system that I plan to use for many years to come. It's easy to learn, easy to use and produces awesome results. Perhaps not the equivalent of an expert using a Japanese water-stone (which I can't use anyway), but it gets them sharp enough to scare the hairs right off my arm!
:thumb: :thumb: for the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener system (WSKTS)

I liked it a lot. Lot easier to use then most systems out there, I would recommend them.. Not giving up my paper wheels and 1x30 belt sander I use. I think they did a great job we did finish off the blades on a loaded strop....

I have the Work Sharp and love it. I couldn't agree with you more. Not too pricey, quick and easy to use. Gives excellent results.

I liked it a lot. Lot easier to use then most systems out there, I would recommend them.. Not giving up my paper wheels and 1x30 belt sander I use. I think they did a great job we did finish off the blades on a loaded strop....

No, your paper wheels and 30" belt will truly give the "Scary Sharp" type of edge to a knife, but it takes longer and is possibly too sharp for many people, if you can imagine such a thing. :laugh: I'm just really into the quick and easy part of this whole Work Sharp thing, and I'm loving the results.

Dean, like you, I also think you can't beat the price. A Chef Mate or full Lansky system cost more than what I paid for the WSKTS, and the Edge Pro and others cost up in the hundreds.
Of course, you have to shop around, but you can find them for $69.95 with free shipping that come with two sets of belts. The company's FAQ said that if not abused, each belt will do up to 100 knives. Like I said above, this thing will put a hair-popping edge on a knife in about 2 minutes. A guy on Bladeforums even sharpened a butter knife with great results!

Now, I'm searching for a different variety of 1/2 x 12" belts to play with. :-D

Never saw this before, thanks! I used to take my knives in twice a year or so but I moved and can't find anyone local anymore.

Never saw this before, thanks! I used to take my knives in twice a year or so but I moved and can't find anyone local anymore.
Man, this thing is stupid simple to use and it doesn't take up much space. I found that it's best to use it outside and place it on a sturdy surface for the best results. It will leave some dust and residue behind.

I just found a place that sells metal working belts from 60 up to 1200 grit for only $.57 each. The only shortcoming is that the minimum shipping/handling is $12.50, so I imagine you would want to order at least 30-40 belts at once, lol.

index.php

I didn't even know I wanted one till I read this and watched a video! The wife said she needed something to add to her Amazon order to get over $25 to qualify for free shipping. Maybe its asking too much, but I'm gunna try anyway!

Darex makes some good stuff. I've got the Worksharp 3000 and use it for woodworking chisels, but am really considering adding the knife sharpener attachment that works like the stand along knife. scissors, etc... sharpener. I have quite a bit of sharpening equipment but the knife attachment looks really easy and quick to set up.

I didn't even know I wanted one till I read this and watched a video! The wife said she needed something to add to her Amazon order to get over $25 to qualify for free shipping. Maybe its asking too much, but I'm gunna try anyway!

Go for it! Just don't blame me if she says no!
I think Amazon has them for $69.95 right now, with the free shipping. You might ask her to throw in an extra set of belts for $8.30 while you're at it. Hey, then she qualifies for the free shipping for her stuff, and just think of all the money she'll save!

Greyeagle had an old meat cleaver with 9 or 10 really nasty nicks in the blade. It was like that when he got it and he meant to fix it one day, so today was the day. It looked like someone had tried to cut something that didn't want to be cut. I didn't think to get a "before" picture, but I did take a couple of "after" photos. I started with the coarse 80 grit until the nicks were gone, then to a by now well-used P220 grit that's getting smoother with each use, and then finished with the well used 6000 grit honing belt. The cleaver will now shave what few hairs I still had left on my arm.
Cleaver.jpg

Cleaver2.jpg

Newspaper isn't the easiest thing to slice, especially with a meat cleaver, but it will do it. This was sliced out of today's front page news.
CleavedPaper.jpg

I ordered one of these after reading Tim's great review, wow is it ever nice! I had one of the edge pro sharpeners but this thing beats it hands down.

I was telling my wife about this thread and showing her how my knives cut paper easily. She got a grin on her face and asked why not try shaving some hair on your arm....I said you first. :-D

I've always been hesitant to use anything mechanical on my blades, however reading the reviews on this makes me consider getting one. I have MANY knives and some of them are in dire need of a good sharpening. Thanks for the heads up on this handy little piece of equipment!

I too am slightly sharpening impaired too and I am a knifemaker! Talk about complicated. I use my sanding belts for my 2x72 and then strop on leather loaded with chromium oxide. However I do want to try other ways and means just to see if they work. the worksharp is on that list.

Have to admit, picked one of these up for my garden tools,scissors, and one convex edge knife I have

I wouldn't use it on most of my good knives, the edgepro is all I'll use there....but I tried the 50 degree (25 each side) on my machete, and in about 4 minutes, I had a shave sharp edge

Great value for doing chisels, axes, etc.!:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

My Son skinned and quartered up a piney wood rooter this weekend with my Kershaw knife. Tim just came over for some bread pudding and brought his WS sharpener to touch the Kershaw up, a few passes polishing the blade and hairs jump off your arm when the blade nears them. He touched up an Anza and it is hair popping sharp also. I did make a few passes on a loaded strop also. If you're
on the fence about the Work Sharp, I would highly recommend it.

I certainly understand not wanting to use it on your best knives but I used it on mine and noticed no problems doing so. I have a damascus steel chef's knife I use for most of my chopping that I have trouble ever getting sharp. I carefully sharpened it and man was it nice to use a sharp knife again.

I've used it on a variety of different knives, and if done properly, there are no marks left on the blade. Actually, you'd really have to try hard in order to scratch a blade, because the knife guides are very safe. When sharpening, just don't leave the blade sitting in one place while the belt is running and you don't need to worry about burning the edge. That's just plain old common sense. I'm pretty sure that many, if not most, professional sharpening services use a belt or disk system, on even the finest of knives. A good Japanese whetstone probably would do the best job, but it's often too time consuming for many professionals to be feasible, and the really, really good ones are a bit pricey. That, plus the fact that I'm not coordinated enough to use one, lol.
After Greyeagle's son skinned out that hog with the Kershaw, I was prepared for the worst, but that knife sprang back to life in less than 2 minutes.

Back