THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a 22.5 WSM and I have done 6 racks of ribs laying flat at one time. I have had 4 large briskets at one time and I have done 6, 8 lb pork butts at one time.

If your looking to cook a lot when you cook and you like the WSM, you better get the 22.5.

I have an 18" WSM and like (not love) it. It has one flaw... when cooking for a crowd, you have to half-disassemble it to access the food on the lower rack. Plan ahead that whatever you put there is a "set it and forget it" recipe or food item. No mopping, no adjusting its position, no flipping it over, no picking it up if it tips over, etc. It's kinda limiting and you'll find yourself avoiding making anything in such a quantity that you need to use the lower rack.

I wish Weber would add a vertical "vault" to their product line. Quick and easy access to all the food. It's a much more versatile design.
~Kai

You said you don't want a piece of crap but let me suggest one: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/o...okers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=810-5503-S It's only $70-75 at Home Depot or Walmart. You'll need to drill/modify or replace the coal tray with a grill wok immediately. And probably add some fireplace caulk (it looks like waxy rope) around the doors to make them seal better. Cheap and easy modifications.

BUT... those cheap chintzy units will probably last you a few years each and because you like to make large quantities of many different foods that have different time, temperature and attention requirements, you can get 3-4 of the ECBs for the cost of one WSM. And the "vault" versus "bullet" design allows you quick and easy access to ALL your racks of food.

The SWM is a nice high-quality smoker but access to the lower rack is unnecessarily difficult. A "vault" might suit your needs better. You can get one "good" one or several cheap crappy ones for about the same price. Quantity vs quality. You make the call.

KuradiEit,

That is the only thing that I don't like about the WSM. I like opening a door or lifting a lid and seeing everything and being able to make adjustments without having to take my grill apart.

For about $750 you can join us on the dark side -- you'll never look back. Google: Green Mountain or Yoder, among others. Avoid Traeger no matter how low the price.

Well - I have to weigh in here for the Treager 070 with the Digital Thermometer.

I absolutely love mine, both for smokin and grillin - I use the oak pellets and we just love the flavor. Oh - and by the way - I just walk out on my patio and turn on the switch and it going. Getting ready to do two brisket flats for this weekend - my wife's entire family is decending on us.

I wouldn't trade if for anything - just a great smoker. Very user friendly and you can't beat the taste. :clap2:

Regards
Rodney

Sorry HUB - I just love mine

I've got 2 Bubba kegs (99% the same as the Big Steel Keg) and love them. I didn't spend over $400 for either of them, so I was lucky there. Considering your budget, I would also say a 22 WSM, but if you really like the idea of lifting the lid and seeing/accessing all your food, then you may have to get a decent sized offset. But at your price, be ready and willing to make a few modifications and forget about "set it and forget" type of cooking. It's nice to have it all but it gets $$ in a hurry. Also, if you really plan to cook large amounts of food and want it to last long, quality is a must. I wouldn't get multiple cheapo smokers. It would be frustrating IMO.

Last edited:
A buddy at work told me about Traeger and he does comp BBQ all the time. Regardless, all 3 of those just mentioned are out of my comfort spending zone right now.

I work right across the street from the weber plant. Only problem is that you can no longer buy factory direct. Weber use to have an annual sale but they quit doing that about 5 years ago. As for how much I want to spend... I would like to get a smoker for around $400 or less. I would consider spending more for a high quality smoker but my problem is that Id hate to buy a smoker and find out my family isn't that crazy about smoked BBQ. So I'm thinking about just sticking with a WSM unless something else strikes me. I still need to inform my wife about our new addition to the family hahaha.

Go with the WSM 18" or 22" They win more contests than you'd ever believe. It might be the most affordable workhorse smoker ever made. If you're family hates BBQ and you're forced to sell it, it will probably last less than a day on Craigslist, or like 60 seconds on this site. That cannot be said for a cabinet type smoker or a modified Brinkman...

One very important thing:
The Weber "bullets" as great as they are...are ONLY smokers. They can be made into makeshift grills, but will never be as good as their namesake Kettle. Perhaps Weber knows this too and continue to offer them both in the catalog.

To have an all around Grill/BBQ Smoker in a single unit, consider the Bubba Keg or a BGE, Primo etc. After all, you might want to cook up a steak or some burgers someday.

As always, my .02

Back