Help me choose what's next!

I think I've decided on the PBC. I mainly cook chicken and ribs anyway and it seems well suited for that. I've got my offset for more traditional BBQ work.

You’re making a great choice for that price range as the PBC makes the best, dead simple chicken I’ve ever had. Just hook it and hang it til done in about 2 hours (I crack the lid to up the temps after 1 hour to crisp the skin which also cuts down the time to 1 hour and 45 minutes). Also makes killer hanging ribs in about 3.5 hours and with a turkey hanger, killer turkey in about 3.5 hours also. I’d definitely use your offset for brisket and if you want to cook more than 2 butts.

I’d add on the ash pan, turkey hanger, hanging grate, and PBC chimney to your order. Enjoy!

PBC is ordered! Want to cook ribs for my dad first. Anybody got a favorite rib rub? I’vd used Salt Lick’s garlic rub and I like it, but it’s too spicy for my pops.

Thanks!

Man, I had a very similar question to this the other day and had decided to go with a pellet smoker, probably Camp Chef or Green Mountain Grills. But after reading your thread here and a couple others I'm about to decide on the PBC as well. I didn't realize you could get it to 225, which to me is a game changer in the overall assessment of that device.

If those are your only options, i would go with the 22" WSM. You will be able to cook a lot on it and it would be the same size as a UDS, with the exception of adding a third rack on the UDS.

If those are your only options, i would go with the 22" WSM. You will be able to cook a lot on it and it would be the same size as a UDS, with the exception of adding a third rack on the UDS.

I ended up going with the PBC because I have a stick burner that I'm rehabbing that can handle bigger cooks.

I still plan to build a UDS as I have now located a barrel supplier locally.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a WSM in my future at some point too.

There's always something next!

Man, I had a very similar question to this the other day and had decided to go with a pellet smoker, probably Camp Chef or Green Mountain Grills. But after reading your thread here and a couple others I'm about to decide on the PBC as well. I didn't realize you could get it to 225, which to me is a game changer in the overall assessment of that device.

That's great. I've gone back and forth because I want to be able to cook low and slow, but it looks like the PBC can do that too. And, if it can't (or if I can't make it), I've got an old off-set that I can use.

I've got young kids and the prospect of not having to tend the cooker all day saturday is appealing.

Should be in by tomorrow night!

PBC is ordered! Want to cook ribs for my dad first. Anybody got a favorite rib rub? I’vd used Salt Lick’s garlic rub and I like it, but it’s too spicy for my pops.

Thanks!
BPS Money is my go to for pork.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I recently acquired a gently loved/used 14" WSM. I smoked 2 ~10 pound hams in it on one grate (too tall for separate grates). With that much meat, airflow was a little down so it ran ~250F wide open. A 3 1/2 hours the ham was at 140F so, I closed it up and smothered the fire and got the carryover heat in the ham to 150F. It was really nice and only took about a coffee can of charcoal briquettes and 5 small pieces of wood (chunks).

For me, it is hard to argue with results and the fact that I really don't have the need for large cooks very often (this one makes for some awesome breakfast meat and sandwiches).

A 22.5" WSM should be able to cook a pretty decent sized brisket cut in half. A PBC should be able to hang one as well. For most cooks beyond a small special case like me flying solo, an 18" PBC seems like it would be easy to move while still giving you enough capacity to cook for a fairly large family event.

Neither a PBC or WSM is as 'sexy' as a nice offset stick burner but, they are easy to use, economical (both in the purchase price and fuel burn) and, are easy to use and store.

Why would you cut a brisket in half to cook it on a 22" WSM? I haven't run into one that wouldn't fit on the grate with room to spare.

That's great. I've gone back and forth because I want to be able to cook low and slow, but it looks like the PBC can do that too. And, if it can't (or if I can't make it), I've got an old off-set that I can use.

I've got young kids and the prospect of not having to tend the cooker all day saturday is appealing.

Should be in by tomorrow night!

LOL. Me too. My days of being able to lie around and watch the grill temp all day without other distractions/responsibilities are gone for the foreseeable future. That's a big part of what has me wanting a lower maintenance (set it and forget it) experience.

I need some wisdom from the brethren. My PBC arrived today. I bought it through Amazon because I had some gift card/return credit there. When the PBC arrived, there are 2 small chips in the porcelain and on big scratch/dent (about an inch). PBC says I have to go through Amazon. I’d really rather not go through that return process. I always end up losing money on Amazon returns.

I don’t think the chips will affect the cooking, but how can I make sure they don’t turn into rust spots? After all I’d heard about PBC customer service, I was a little disappointed. The packaging is fine. This unit was dinged before it was boxed.

I need some wisdom from the brethren. My PBC arrived today. I bought it through Amazon because I had some gift card/return credit there. When the PBC arrived, there are 2 small chips in the porcelain and on big scratch/dent (about an inch). PBC says I have to go through Amazon. I’d really rather not go through that return process. I always end up losing money on Amazon returns.

I don’t think the chips will affect the cooking, but how can I make sure they don’t turn into rust spots? After all I’d heard about PBC customer service, I was a little disappointed. The packaging is fine. This unit was dinged before it was boxed.

Just paint the chips with high heat BBQ paint. That is what I have done with my Weber Kettles that get chips in them. My PBC is the pre-porcelain model and that is what I will do when it starts to get rust spots. None of what you are talking about will affect cooking on it. I usually don't worry about stuff like this on grills or smokers as they all seem to get dings and scratches on them over time but I understand that most people don't want their brand new product messed up.

Call the owner of PBC and explain the situation. I hear he is a good guy. Don't know if you talked to him or not. If you did already talk to him and that was the response then return it and get your money back. Then make sure you leave a review of your experience whether it is good or bad.

I'm the type that if it's not perfect it will drive me crazy. A new cooker is supposed to bring joy not aggravation. I'd at least see what Amazon will do. My wife returns stuff all the time. She is an expert at making them pay for everything. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I corresponded with Amber and she encouraged me to go through the Amazon return process, but she let me know that if Amazon didn't make it right, they would.

Very impressed with the PBC folks.

Now, I have to figure out how to repack it....

Back