Help Improve My Flavor Profile - This season...I want a d*** call!

I use a pecan rub that has a bit of salt, and a sweeter rub like holy smokes. Add in something light to finish. I use q-juice as the injection and a slightly sweet mellow sauce that seemed to work. But I probably don't compete enough to give you what you're looking for, just know in the few I've done that I've done well in taste.

As a judge in the same region that you are talking (NC,SC,GA mostly but also VA & TN) I can pretty much tell you that the judges are NOT liking vinegar, mesquite, too sweet, too hot/spicy, or any flavor that overpowers the taste of the meat. Sounds like you've got your pork tenderness down right, so now go for a BALANCE of flavors - meat/rub/sauce/smoke. Any one that overpowers the others will hurt you in this region.

Good luck and I'll see you somewhere/sometime!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks Tom! :clap2:

Yes he said he was happy with it, but have the judges been? Unless 4-5 scores are consistently 9's then it could still need work.

Yes. For the past few competitions my tenderness scores have been running 2 to 5 9's - but never get below an 8. I keep track of my past performance so I can continue to improve, and here's how I did in my last 5 comps. My tenderness keeps getting better and better, and will continue to be my main focus...but I'm going the wrong way on flavor :( :

25264313973_94244b9480_b.jpg

Flavor continues to plague me. I keep getting dings on flavor, but I never get any comment cards...so I never know what the judges didn't like about the flavor...

I'm still haunted by an event where I got my best tenderness and appearance scores, but mixed up the chili powered with the cayanne pepper in my rub...stupid mistake (but one I'll never make again) lol.

You already know my opinions on all of the above :becky:(and you also know you can message me whenever), so all I'm going to say is continue to try to nail tenderness week in, and week out.

Stay away from that odd flavor we talked about already, and find something with good balance. I would use a commercial rub that has a sweet note to it, but a bit of savory balance, that will give you a nice color...you may need to layer rubs. Someone mentioned Swamp Boys, and his sauce is really fantastic. I keep it in my fridge at all times.

Also, a few mentioned it, and I've told you this before, sign up for a darn class already!!!! You may have missed the boat for this season, but keep your eyes/ears open for one, or just come on down this way and hang with us in January of next year :).

Hey Bethers! :becky:

A) I'll definitely give the swamp boys a shot as a lot of folks have recommended that.

B) I'll holler at you more to chat about layering the rubs on FB, as I think that's a great idea.

C) Yes, mother. :icon_blush: I'm still planning on taking a class once our financial situation gets a bit better. The recent move and baby proofing the house & cracking the kamado has pretty much killed my bbq slush fund :(

Lotta bull BBQ is teaching a tell all class in waynesboro Georgia mid April. At $300, it's a steal. Definitely worth looking into.

I would also agree with everyone else...ditch the homemade rub. There are way too many good commercially made rubs to be messing around with your own recipe.

Yes. For the past few competitions my tenderness scores have been running 2 to 5 9's - but never get below an 8. I keep track of my past performance so I can continue to improve, and here's how I did in my last 5 comps. My tenderness keeps getting better and better, and will continue to be my main focus...but I'm going the wrong way on flavor :( :

25264313973_94244b9480_b.jpg

Flavor continues to plague me. I keep getting dings on flavor, but I never get any comment cards...so I never know what the judges didn't like about the flavor...

I'm still haunted by an event where I got my best tenderness and appearance scores, but mixed up the chili powered with the cayanne pepper in my rub...stupid mistake (but one I'll never make again) lol.

that graph so you have basically cooked 1 contest where you cook the meat well enough to get a call. I would suggest you ditch any homemade stuff and figure out the cooking part.

Averaging 8's in tenderness just doesnt get called anymore. I used to get called, but it doesnt now.

Even 3 9's and 2 8's would be tough to get a call unless AP was all 9's and tenderness for 4 9's and an eight.

Fortunately practice is good way to learn the cooking, you can eat what you practice, and fill the freezer with the rest. But you need practice.

Back