Help Improve My Flavor Profile - This season...I want a d*** call!

I_Use_The_Force

Got Wood.
Looking for advice on what's trending well with KCBS judges right flavoring wise for pork entries. We're in the NC Region, so really looking for what does well with judges in our area rather than say in the midwest or california. Now, I'm not naive enough to ask for folks secret recipes, but would appreciate people pointing me in the right direction on how to form a good basis with my sauce/injections or what commercial options have tended to score well.

The main things I'm interested in are (please keep in mind I'm interested in regional opinion - GA, NC, SC, VA, TN mainly):

1) What flavor profiles score best with judges in our region for sauce? Ketchup or Vinegar base? Sweeter or Smokery? Fruity or more mesquite?

2) What flavor profiles score best with judges for injections - fruit juices? colas? water based with msg's? A combination?

Been bbq'ing with KCBS for the past few years doing the butts on our team. Thanks to a lot of the folks on this forum, I think last year was my best averaging finishing position since I started, but there was still no call as the highest I placed was 8th (though it was a small competition and only 28 teams so they only called the first 5 :doh::tape::mad2: )

The best piece of advice I got had to be from my new friend Beth with J&B's who told me. "Focus first on getting the tenderness right, then start tweaking your flavor profiles". Almost immediately, my finishing positions started to improve by an average of around 15-20% higher. I've gotten to a point where I'm happy with the tenderness almost every time.

Time to up the flavor game. My injection, rub, and sauce methods could definitely use some help. I like the things I've used, but they can't seem to get me over the hump with the judges. Here's what I've been using in the past:

Injection: Butchers Pork Injection
Sauce: Bone Suckin Sauce or Blue's (weak...I know)
Rub: It's my own concoction, but a very basic rub - lotta salt, sugar, garlic, chili powder, etc.

Take a class from a winning team

My suggestion would be to take a class from a team that has done well in the mid-Atlantic. You've just missed opportunities for one from 3-Eyz (MABA 2015 TOY) and I think the one from Aporkalypse Now (MABA 2014 TOY) is this weekend. Tuffy Stone from Cool Smoke (2015 Jack GC) is offering classes, but am not sure if there are still any openings. Any one of these would put you well on your way to a winning flavor profile in this area.

Taking a class or two will help, but so will judging a few competitions. That way you can taste several entries and talk with your fellow judges to see what they thought.

I think you hit on it already in your first post. Focus on tenderness and appearance. If its cooked right and looks tasty I feel a lot of different flavors can win. As long as there isn't something overpowering in the profile.

I've used butchers just like the directions said, along with blues hog and common rubs like 3Eyz, Rod Grays, Cimm Docs etc and it works. Hit tenderness and use the flavors mentioned and they do work. Don't over think it. Last contest we won (they are few and far between) we used the same rub on everything. Gotta cook it right first. Also what you do right at the end before it goes into the box is quite important as the previous 12hrs.

Taking a class or two will help, but so will judging a few competitions. That way you can taste several entries and talk with your fellow judges to see what they thought.

The problem here is that it's next to impossible to become a judge in this region, there is only one judging class offered in Va for the year!

As a judge in the same region that you are talking (NC,SC,GA mostly but also VA & TN) I can pretty much tell you that the judges are NOT liking vinegar, mesquite, too sweet, too hot/spicy, or any flavor that overpowers the taste of the meat. Sounds like you've got your pork tenderness down right, so now go for a BALANCE of flavors - meat/rub/sauce/smoke. Any one that overpowers the others will hurt you in this region.

Good luck and I'll see you somewhere/sometime!

My recommendation would be to stop focusing on flavor profile and focus on cooking your meat perfectly.

The sauces and injection you are using are fine. I'd buy a commercial rub - BPS Money/Sweet Monty, Smoking Guns Hot, a Butcher rub.

Nail tenderness first.

Shoot for a good balance of sweet, heat, and smoke...then focus on the texture. If your flavors are not offensive and the texture is spot on you're golden!

My recommendation would be to stop focusing on flavor profile and focus on cooking your meat perfectly.

The sauces and injection you are using are fine. I'd buy a commercial rub - BPS Money/Sweet Monty, Smoking Guns Hot, a Butcher rub.

Nail tenderness first.

He mentioned he was nailing his tenderness already.

I imagine you could use smokin guns got and blues hog original on everything and do well just about anywhere as long as you hit your marks on tenderness.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Looking for advice on what's trending well with KCBS judges right flavoring wise for pork entries. We're in the NC Region, so really looking for what does well with judges in our area rather than say in the midwest or california. Now, I'm not naive enough to ask for folks secret recipes, but would appreciate people pointing me in the right direction on how to form a good basis with my sauce/injections or what commercial options have tended to score well.

The main things I'm interested in are (please keep in mind I'm interested in regional opinion - GA, NC, SC, VA, TN mainly):

1) What flavor profiles score best with judges in our region for sauce? Ketchup or Vinegar base? Sweeter or Smokery? Fruity or more mesquite?

2) What flavor profiles score best with judges for injections - fruit juices? colas? water based with msg's? A combination?

Been bbq'ing with KCBS for the past few years doing the butts on our team. Thanks to a lot of the folks on this forum, I think last year was my best averaging finishing position since I started, but there was still no call as the highest I placed was 8th (though it was a small competition and only 28 teams so they only called the first 5 :doh::tape::mad2: )

The best piece of advice I got had to be from my new friend Beth with J&B's who told me. "Focus first on getting the tenderness right, then start tweaking your flavor profiles". Almost immediately, my finishing positions started to improve by an average of around 15-20% higher. I've gotten to a point where I'm happy with the tenderness almost every time.

Time to up the flavor game. My injection, rub, and sauce methods could definitely use some help. I like the things I've used, but they can't seem to get me over the hump with the judges. Here's what I've been using in the past:

Injection: Butchers Pork Injection
Sauce: Bone Suckin Sauce or Blue's (weak...I know)
Rub: It's my own concoction, but a very basic rub - lotta salt, sugar, garlic, chili powder, etc.

You already know my opinions on all of the above :becky:(and you also know you can message me whenever), so all I'm going to say is continue to try to nail tenderness week in, and week out.

Stay away from that odd flavor we talked about already, and find something with good balance. I would use a commercial rub that has a sweet note to it, but a bit of savory balance, that will give you a nice color...you may need to layer rubs. Someone mentioned Swamp Boys, and his sauce is really fantastic. I keep it in my fridge at all times.

Also, a few mentioned it, and I've told you this before, sign up for a darn class already!!!! You may have missed the boat for this season, but keep your eyes/ears open for one, or just come on down this way and hang with us in January of next year :).

Back