Help From The Pitmasters - Compare / Contrast Vertical vs Horizontal?

I don't want to cause any issues, but I would not recommend any one try to give Dave Klose a call. I called Klose Pits several times when I was pit shopping and never once got to speak to the man. One time I asked Monty if I could talk to Dave, and he said Dave was never there. He was always "out fishing." Talking to Monty and the other woman was equally as painful, cause I felt like I was getting a big heaping of marketing with every question. I have nothing to say about the quality of Klose products, but I would recommend seeking an education from sources other than that company.

YMMV,

dmp

Well..........not to start any chit storm here whatsoever but..........did you email Dave Klose.
Ive had the pleasure of Dave Klose staying here to my house. He was doing a huge delivery to the east coast after staying here with me in the midwest for a few days. He delivered my big mobile pit to me.
His cellphone never quit ringing. He is always busy with customers, some special project or fishing.
I can assure you this if you cant speak to him via phone at the moment you would like..............leave your phone # in your email to him and I promise you he will get back to you asap.
I also know that he does a lot of his own deliveries and sometimes he isnt connected to the www.
The man is on the go all the time.
Dave Klose will talk to anybody about anything.
Wished you had tried harder to contact him before blasting him!
May want to give another try, as Jorge said he is a huge source of bbq knowledge as well as a huge source of knowledge in life.
I would google Klose Pits, send Dave an email and if he is alive he will get back to you.

[
smokerontrailer005.jpg

Baffle over heat enterance hole to chamber
Smokerinthemaking3-08009.jpg

We built this center firebox cooker at school for a friend it work wonderful have very even heat hold heat great. Best cooker I ever cook on Too bad I give it away.

I really don't want to get into an argument about the details of my communications with Dave Klose. I actually have a lot of opinions about the man and the company that I am refraining from stating because people around here seem to revere him like a deity. If you feel I have wronged him in some unimaginable way, please let me know in PM-land, or encourage the man to reply to this thread or PM me directly. Until then, the fact is that upon reading a thread some where suggesting that I call Dave and talk to him, I did. Monty answered the phone and I asked to speak to Dave, and Monty told me "Dave's not here." I asked if he was delivering pits, since I knew he did that, and Monty said "Nahh. He's never here anymore. He's always Fishing." I didn't know that I had to ask for the man's cell phone number to speak to him. I figured if he wanted people to reach him on his cell phone, Monty would have said "But I can give you his cell phone number if you want to call him." or "What's your number? I'll have him call you back." I did leave my number, but Monty called me back, not Dave. What more should I have to do to speak to a man? I swear I'm not trying to compare Dave Klose to every other pit builder out there, but no one else I called about it ran his business in abstensia. My experience is just one, and I said YMMV, but the man is not perfect.

I really only replied now though because you asked me point blank if I eMailed Dave Klose. I did. I got responses that I felt didn't answer my questions and were incredibly short and non-communacative. It felt like some one else was responding for him. He never said to me "Why don't you gimme a call and I'll talk your ear off about BBQ pits to build what you want." Regardless, this was before I ever called him and I decided he was not a particularly good eMail correspondent. The phone calls with Monty and his sister came later.

I'm sure I did something wrong here. I was probably supposed to insert secret EBCDIC characters into the eMail that will actually get the message to him or turn him into some one who will write long eMails or invite me to call him. Or maybe not every one has the same experiences you have with the man. Really. Don't blame me because this man you hold in such high regard did not make himself available to me like every one thinks he would have. I don't think I've "slammed" the man either. I am reporting my experiences with trying to call him like others have suggested. But again, if you still really think I've done something wrong, please PM me. If any one else is able to have better luck talking to the man than I did, congratulations. I already bought a pit.

dmp

I really don't want to get into an argument about the details of my communications with Dave Klose. If any one else is able to have better luck talking to the man than I did, congratulations. I already bought a pit.

dmp
You may have tried several amature ways of talking to him. I think you should have stalked him :wink:.

Hey, we're nothing if not full of it.... Ideas that is....
Dive, I was wondering how you were getting along with your Lang! As for cookers, I love my Lang 60 Mobile. I have had her for several years now, and I believe she is getting better with age! I have had the pleasure to meet Ben Lang on many occasions, and he is a great guy. Actually, one of my neighbors got tired of riding by me cooking on the weekends, and went out an bought one almost identical to mine!

If I may give a little bit of advice...:twisted: Whatever you do, buy a quality cooker and don't look back. Whether it is a Klose, Lang, Spicewine, Stumps, etc., you will be getting a fine cooker. I do not know of a cooker that everyone likes universally (well maybe the BSKD!), but I have learned that most of the name brands are quality units. Each maker has a trade off. Klose makes beautiful pits, but they are pricey. Lang makes a great pit for the money, but it is not as pretty as the others (although mine is stunning!). Spicewines are beautiful and functional, but they come with the Spice Fairy... Anyway, this should be a fun experience, and make the best of this life changing event!:biggrin:

I do notice a heat variance between top and bottom...I have two thermometers...I have since reversed them, and my frist cook after that is tonight/tomorow.

I have an update on this for those who are interested. It was almost certainly the thermometer. Now that they are reversed, they are usually right about even at 220 deg. If one is off, it will be lower one, which tells me that the thermometer is "bad" and I don't have much if any variance between the top and bottom. I am 4 hours into a cook, and all is going well. I'm learning the cooker, and it's doing a great job!

dmp

Back