Help choosing insulated cabinet smoker - Meadow Creek BX50 vs LSG standard

Walshman

First I would like to start off by saying what a wealth of information this site is. I have truly learned so much by reading other threads.

I currently have an XL BGE and have enjoyed cooking on it almost every weekend for the past year. I decided that I would like to buy another smoker that can accommodate more meat/sides. I have not done any competitions and rarely cook for more than my immediate family and buddies. I think I have ruled out buying an offset cooker just b/c I'm not sure that I would want to tend the fire every 45 minutes especially in rain/cold weather.

Last week, I visited Meadow Creek as it is only an hours drive from me and I was completely impressed with their customer service and the BX50. I believe that I have read every thread discussing this cooker, but for some reason I can't stop looking at the LSG standard smoker. I think it is bigger that what I could ever use it for, but it would be nice to have the space if ever needed.

Each smoker seems to have its pros and cons, but I'm curious if any of you who have cooked on these cookers can tell me what you like and dislike so that I can make an informed decision. It appears that there is quite a bit more info available on the LSG vs the BX50.

One aspect about Meadow Creek that I like is that it is local and I can save on shipping and also if I have any issues the factory is close. I was also told that around Xmas I could possibly save 5 or 10%. The one that I looked at was outfitted with stainless steel on the inside and appeared extremely well built.

Please advise on which smoker you would buy if you were me and your reasons for it. Thanks again for any info that you can share. Hopefully, I can soon post some pictures of food cooked on my new smoker! :clap2:

I (presently!) own neither the MC BX50 or the LSG Insulated Vertical but both cookers are candidates to supplement my BGE. Having Meadow Creek less than an hour away is an important consideration from the standpoint of (no) shipping charges and service should this be needed but there are important design differences between them which may or may not be important to you and which could tip the scales one way or another. Definitely more experience reported here with the LSG unit and some information on the BX50 but experiences are positive for both. You've at least seen and touched the BX50. Definitely appears to be a solid unit and I am sure they both turn out an excellent product.

I am an LSG Kook-Aid drinker, for sure. I have an LSG vertical offset smoker plus the shop is about 40 minutes a way. Do not have one of the insulted cabinets but have seen a'plenty at the LSG shop. I would have Chris give you a quote for shipping to you and then factor it in to your decision.

Get the one you dream about.... regardless.

Another vote for the one that you can't stop thinking about. You don't want to be cooking on one and wishing you had bought the other. Get a shipping quote from lsg. It's not as much as most other builders for some reason.

I am an LSG Kook-Aid drinker, for sure. I have an LSG vertical offset smoker plus the shop is about 40 minutes a way. Do not have one of the insulted cabinets but have seen a'plenty at the LSG shop. I would have Chris give you a quote for shipping to you and then factor it in to your decision.

Get the one you dream about.... regardless.

I think my LSG vertical offset is about a month out from being ready. I can't freaking wait to go pick it up. Made a trip down back in July to look at a few smokers and decided to pull the trigger while I was there. Chris was great to talk to and their craftsmanship is top notch.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I agree and think I will contact Chris and get an estimate on price. I think I would regret not getting the LSG after all of the positive reviews I have read. If anyone has any experience with the BX50 I would still like to hear the good and the bad. Thanks again!

Back