Help a rookie?

FusoRider

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Richard
I just joined and need some thoughts from you experts. After having success smoking Thanksgiving turkeys the last several years, I decided this last week to broaden my experience by smoking a 14-pound brisket on my 18-inch Weber Smokey Mountain. For a first-timer, I did an OK job, not great. Everyone loved the flavor, but it was too dry — even though I thought I nailed every step. Here's how I did it — hoping you can figure out where I went wrong.

1. I got a prime-grade brisket and trimmed off quite a bit of fat, but not as much as I've seen the pit masters do on videos (hard to quantify here). I rubbed it liberally with just kosher salt and ground pepper. (Since this was my first attempt, I kept it simple.)

2. I used Jealous Devil lump charcoal, with several chunks of mesquite and apple wood. I then lit the pile using the Minion method.

3. In regard to the use of the water pan, I've seen competing methods — some people use liquids in it, others swear they get better results with the pan dry — so I decided to do a combination. I started with about a half gallon of a 50-50 mix of water and apple juice. I figured it would help flavor and moisten the meat initially, and then after boiling off after a few hours I'd get flavor from juices dripping into the foil-lined pan.

4. I put the brisket on the top grate (it barely fit on my 18-inch WSM), draping it fat-side down over three wood chunks to keep any juices from pooling.

5. I locked in the cooking temp at 250F and the WSM held it steady there for almost the entire cook. The temp briefly dipped to 225 once and, at about 3 hours, jumped up to 300 for about 15-20 minutes when I took the lid off to give the meat a spritz with some apple juice.

6. After about 5-1/2 hours, when the brisket reached 165 degrees, I took it off and wrapped it in three layers of butcher paper. I added some more charcoal to the fire, returned the brisket to the top grate (this time fat-side up) and quickly got the cooker temp locked in again at 250.

7. Because I thought the cooking time would take 14-18 hours, I had started the cook at 7 p.m. After wrapping the brisket and returning it to the cooker at about 1 a.m., I went to bed for a few hours. When I got up at 6 a.m., the cooker temp was still holding at 250 degrees. But to my surprise, the brisket temp was already closing in on 205-210.

8. So, after just 11-1/2 to 12 hours, I removed the brisket and put it in a Igloo cooler with a single layer of foil and a towel laid across the top. I then let it rest for 3 hours. (The butcher paper, by the way, was pretty well soaked with fat.)

9. When I pulled the meat out of the cooler and cut into it, I could see that it was overcooked. Not terribly bad, but with not a lot of juice running out of it. I did the test of cutting a slice to see it if would flop over my finger, and it was a little more firm than desired.

10. So, how did I dry out a 14-pounder in 12 hours when the temp was locked in at 250? I used a ThermoPro with 2 probes to monitor the temp, but a couple of times — including the last time at 7 a.m. — I also poked it in several places with a hand-held thermometer to make sure I had good temp throughout (and juices ran out). Did I poke it too much? Should I have taken it out of the cooker sooner — at, say, 195 degrees? Should I have let it cool more before placing in the cooler? And why did it cook so much faster than the 1 to 1-1/2 hours per pound that all the recipes and videos estimate?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Not sure where the one and a half hours per pound is coming from. That would be 21 hours on a 14 pounder.
A brisket can't read a watch or a thermometer. It is done when it probes like butter in the thickest part of the flat. Sounds like you overdid it a skosh. Letting it cool a bit before the rest may be a factor as well.
You seem to be on the right track. You certainly are paying attention to detail.
FWIW, I run water in the pan the whole cook on my WSM.

I just joined and need some thoughts from you experts. After having success smoking Thanksgiving turkeys the last several years, I decided this last week to broaden my experience by smoking a 14-pound brisket on my 18-inch Weber Smokey Mountain. For a first-timer, I did an OK job, not great. Everyone loved the flavor, but it was too dry — even though I thought I nailed every step. Here's how I did it — hoping you can figure out where I went wrong.

1. I got a prime-grade brisket and trimmed off quite a bit of fat, but not as much as I've seen the pit masters do on videos (hard to quantify here). I rubbed it liberally with just kosher salt and ground pepper. (Since this was my first attempt, I kept it simple.)

2. I used Jealous Devil lump charcoal, with several chunks of mesquite and apple wood. I then lit the pile using the Minion method.

3. In regard to the use of the water pan, I've seen competing methods — some people use liquids in it, others swear they get better results with the pan dry — so I decided to do a combination. I started with about a half gallon of a 50-50 mix of water and apple juice. I figured it would help flavor and moisten the meat initially, and then after boiling off after a few hours I'd get flavor from juices dripping into the foil-lined pan.

4. I put the brisket on the top grate (it barely fit on my 18-inch WSM), draping it fat-side down over three wood chunks to keep any juices from pooling.

5. I locked in the cooking temp at 250F and the WSM held it steady there for almost the entire cook. The temp briefly dipped to 225 once and, at about 3 hours, jumped up to 300 for about 15-20 minutes when I took the lid off to give the meat a spritz with some apple juice.

6. After about 5-1/2 hours, when the brisket reached 165 degrees, I took it off and wrapped it in three layers of butcher paper. I added some more charcoal to the fire, returned the brisket to the top grate (this time fat-side up) and quickly got the cooker temp locked in again at 250.

7. Because I thought the cooking time would take 14-18 hours, I had started the cook at 7 p.m. After wrapping the brisket and returning it to the cooker at about 1 a.m., I went to bed for a few hours. When I got up at 6 a.m., the cooker temp was still holding at 250 degrees. But to my surprise, the brisket temp was already closing in on 205-210.

8. So, after just 11-1/2 to 12 hours, I removed the brisket and put it in a Igloo cooler with a single layer of foil and a towel laid across the top. I then let it rest for 3 hours. (The butcher paper, by the way, was pretty well soaked with fat.)

9. When I pulled the meat out of the cooler and cut into it, I could see that it was overcooked. Not terribly bad, but with not a lot of juice running out of it. I did the test of cutting a slice to see it if would flop over my finger, and it was a little more firm than desired.

10. So, how did I dry out a 14-pounder in 12 hours when the temp was locked in at 250? I used a ThermoPro with 2 probes to monitor the temp, but a couple of times — including the last time at 7 a.m. — I also poked it in several places with a hand-held thermometer to make sure I had good temp throughout (and juices ran out). Did I poke it too much? Should I have taken it out of the cooker sooner — at, say, 195 degrees? Should I have let it cool more before placing in the cooler? And why did it cook so much faster than the 1 to 1-1/2 hours per pound that all the recipes and videos estimate?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
9. ......... I did the test of cutting a slice to see it if would flop over my finger, and it was a little more firm than desired.

Tells me it was undercooked, hence the dry brisket

I don't check temps on my brisket at all.

I wrap it when the crust sets (in foil).

I pull it when it probes tender.

I rest it for at least an hour. Usually wrapped and on a countertop.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with Burnt if it was firmer than desired when you laid it across your finger needed a touch longer. Don't pull based on temp, but on feel. You can start checking around 200-205, but don't pull until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat. Some people will say it's like a knife through warm butter, but I feel like a better explanation is a well done baked potato. Either way no resistance. *However you should let it cool down for 15-20 min before you put it in the cooler or it will continue to cook in the cooler*.

another vote for slightly undercooked. General rule is if the slices crumble, it is overdone, if the slices stay together, but don't pass the pull test, it is underdone. Probing in the thickest part of the flat is a pretty reliable way to tell if it is close to perfectly done. Remember to ignore the point meat, as it will take care of its self. I've had briskets go north of 215F in the flat before they were probe tender, every cow is slightly different and will be done in its own time frame.

My first ever brisket was cooked on an 18" WSM and IMO was my best. I don't remember the size or how hot the smoker was but it turned out very tender and juicy. I did inject with beef broth and used a Jaccard on it.

After I took it off the smoker I let it sit on the counter with some foil tented over it for about 15 minutes and then wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler for several hours. I did not wrap it during the cook.

Not sure why some people approach cooking a brisket like a D -Day invasion plan. It's a hunk of dead cow. Cook it until it's almost done and let the rest carry it over the goal line. Not by time, not by serving schedule- none of that really matters. To me- I find it harder to do a perfect rack of pork spares than to turn out a good (ok- admittently NOT Frankin's - but whose is?) brisket consistently .

Enjoy your cooks- that's key. As soon as it stops being fun- it becomes a chore. :grin:

I also use an 18” wsm. I cook brisket fat cap up on wsm. The heat is coming from the top. Water in the water pan. When the brisket is done. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before putting it in the cooler. If you put the brisket directly in the cooler it will continue to cook. Have fun . That’s really the key. Don’t overthink it.

Agree with the guys above ^. Just to add as Loyd said Resting a brisket is just as important as the way you cook it. I had to learn the hard way.

The only other thing I would add is the grade of beef you purchase. I will not do a Select grade brisket. Only Choice or better. Around here anyway if you see no marking for choice or prime it's select. Don't waste your time and effort on it.

Just my .02 and Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! Your comments are much appreciated. It probably didn't sound like it in my detailed report, but I did have a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I overcooked it by putting it into the cooler too soon. When it finished much earlier than I expected in the WSM -- by both temp and feel -- I panicked a bit and didn't let it relax. I'm also going to go with water in the pan throughout the entire cook next time. Family and friends are asking when I'm going to do another, so I guess I didn't miss by much. (Best remark was from my daughter as she was going back for more — "Uh, Dad ... how do I stop?") Looking forward to doing it again!

Thanks everyone! Your comments are much appreciated. It probably didn't sound like it in my detailed report, but I did have a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I overcooked it by putting it into the cooler too soon. When it finished much earlier than I expected in the WSM -- by both temp and feel -- I panicked a bit and didn't let it relax. I'm also going to go with water in the pan throughout the entire cook next time. Family and friends are asking when I'm going to do another, so I guess I didn't miss by much. (Best remark was from my daughter as she was going back for more — "Uh, Dad ... how do I stop?") Looking forward to doing it again!

It doesn't relax, but just the opposite. It will tighten up when it cools off. That is why when folks get "checking" the brisket too often, they tend to over cook them. The more time that you allow between checking the better off you are.

If the brisket wasn't crumbling bad when you sliced it, it wasn't overcooked!

It’s actually really hard to overcook a brisket and it’s way worse for the final product to go under than over. As a rule, cook it until you think it’s done and then go 30 minutes longer.

I remember the first time I really “got” what it takes to cook a brisket correctly. I was ticked off at dry, tight briskets and set out to overcook one. It was the best one I ever cooked up to that point. Briskets are best right on that ragged edge of being over.

Back