Hello from Raleigh, NC

zmhill

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey all, been lurking on the forum for a bit but joined recently. Always a BBQ lover but really started gaining interest during my first stint in NC in Greensboro... Close to the home of Western Carolina style BBQ. Fell in love with actually smoking meat while living in Houston, TX and helping some friends. Now back in the Raleigh area and well... It's a damn addiction now. Been doing it about a year with a Masterbuilt Dual fuel (propane or charcoal) to learn on. I regularly turn out some excellent food that everyone loves, but getting ready to make the leap to the next level and start exploring stick burners and whatnot.

Definitely appreciate all the info and people on this forum. I'm excited to learn more and hopefully get some recommendations on good cookers once I get ready to throw some money at one.

Thanks!
Zack

Welcome from SC, Zack. It's good to have you on this great site. There are a lot of really fine folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you need to do is ask away and keep reading.

When you get ready to look at stick burners, I would like to suggest Bell Fab. Craig Bell is a great guy and builds a one off smoker to match your personal needs and specifications. He uses quality material, his fabrication is first class and his pricing is very reasonable.

Contact Craig at: bellfab@sbcglobal.net

Good luck and good smoking, Joe. :thumb:

Hey Zach,

Just up the road from you, even though I am in Raleigh every week! Have you been over to Grill Billies on Durant Rd? He has large selections of cookers you can look at (and even rent for the weekend if you want to kick the tires and light a fire)

Let me know if you ever need anything. I have quite a collection of cookers myself and always adding new ones and testing new things! Welcome to this crazy place!

Welcome from SC, Zack. It's good to have you on this great site. There are a lot of really fine folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you need to do is ask away and keep reading.

When you get ready to look at stick burners, I would like to suggest Bell Fab. Craig Bell is a great guy and builds a one off smoker to match your personal needs and specifications. He uses quality material, his fabrication is first class and his pricing is very reasonable.

Contact Craig at: bellfab@sbcglobal.net

Good luck and good smoking, Joe. :thumb:
Thanks! I really appreciate the welcome and the referral for a pit. I don't know what kinda price range I'll be targeting in the next year as I get ready to make a purchase, but probably gonna have to cap it at about a grand. We shall see, I guess! Thanks again!

Hey Zach,

Just up the road from you, even though I am in Raleigh every week! Have you been over to Grill Billies on Durant Rd? He has large selections of cookers you can look at (and even rent for the weekend if you want to kick the tires and light a fire)

Let me know if you ever need anything. I have quite a collection of cookers myself and always adding new ones and testing new things! Welcome to this crazy place!
Man, I just discovered Grillbillies not long ago and it's about 10 minutes from work. I can already tell I'm gonna be spending too many lunch breaks cruising the selection and talking to the guys up there. The rub/sauce selection alone is impressive, but I appreciated the fact that the first time I went in there, the kid working the register spent nearly 30 minutes talking with me about my setup, showing me around, doing taste tests with rubs, etc.

Appreciate the welcome! I feel good about my food quality, but there's always plenty of room to improve and this place seems pretty awesome to keep learning the craft.

Zack

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Zack, welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az.

Welcome aboard Zack, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome fellow Raleighite! You'll enjoy poking around on this forum for hours. I'm always down to meet up to talk barbecue. I'm participating in the Pork Out up at Lafayette Village in June if you're interested in stopping by and saying hello / hanging out into the wee hours. It's a buddy and I competing, though we're no experienced competitors. We did the competition 2 years ago, and we just enjoyed the whole experience!

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Back