THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gary Tomato

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi folks

I live in Melbourne, Australia and have been a fan of American-style low 'n' slow barbecue for about three years now, after first seeing it on shows like No Reservations, Man V Food and Licence to Grill.

I started with a large gas grill and using aluminium foiled smoke pouches and got some very good results but about 18 months ago picked up a Weber grill, a few bags of charcoal and some wood chunks and haven't stopped cooking since!

Common cuts such as baby back and spare ribs and Boston butts are nigh on impossible to source here, save for a couple of butchers on the other side of town who charge extraordinary prices for these cuts. Fortunately we have a Costco warehouse (albeit on the other side of town also) so I can get some of the good stuff like spare ribs, tri-tip and some common US groceries at prices much less than our sole US grocery importer.

I've been to the USA twice in the last three years, meeting some great people and feasting on some great barbecue in Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, Albuquerque and California.

When in Austin I managed to meet Aaron Franklin at Franklin BBQ;

9314580458_32cfe72476_z.jpg

A definite highlight of my month-long trip in 2013 was spending three days at the Memphis In May festival meeting and sampling the foods of such greats as Myron Mixon, Melissa Cookston, Ray Lampe and I even got to sample the award winning pork butt of the Red Hot Smokers!

It was great meeting people like Melissa Cookston and many other folks at Memphis In May ...

9304704609_e278658cc4_z.jpg

I chronicle my cooking and eating exploits on my personal blog Another Hungry Boy and occasionally on my Google + page.

I am currently looking at increasing my BBQ arsenal from the gasser and Weber and look forward to reading the insights and experiences of you BBQ Brethren to help me decide what might be best for me in the future.

Welcome aboard Gary Tomato, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here. Don't be afraid to look around and explore the other forums.

Looks like you had quite an impressive trip to the US... Great story and great blog.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back