THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
HI All Any one used the new Heinz BBQ sampler pack.. Let me know what you think about the different sauces.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Heinz-BBQ-Suace-Sampler-Barbecue/dp/B01BDYKK10/ref=sr_1_2_s_it/183-0759891-9261223?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1464182094&sr=1-2&refinements=p_4%3AHeinz"]Amazon.com : Heinz BBQ Suace Sampler - Variety Pack of Gourmet 100% Natural Barbecue Sauce Flavors : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EkI2jLRgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41EkI2jLRgL[/ame]

Thanks DanB

You can get it at Walmart. They're a little sweet, but I found them surprisingly good. I liked them all.

Walmart

Hi Did buy them at Walmart, but haven't tried the yet.. More concerned about my wife, she can't take spice or heat.
Thanks DanB

Just stopped at Walmart it was $5.xx for the pack. Almost bought it, except I'm moving in less than a month so most would go to waste.

i like the Memphis and Carolina sauces, KC is a little too sweet for me and i havent tried the Texas yet.

so far i have splashed that Carolina on about everything i can think of, its my favorite

i tried all 4 of em, none them are spicy, but your wife might not appreciate the carolina one. i like to make my own sauces, but these were pretty good, better than a lot of the cheaper bottled sauces. Personally I liked the KC and Texas ones the best. I did a cook last weekend where I did wings, ribs, and a chuck roast with all 4 sauces. I'm going to post about it in my blog in a few days and then I'll share it on here

I, too, picked up the sampler pack from my local Wally World. Right at $6 for the four-pack, with individual, large-size bottles of each variety going for $2 and change.

Interestingly - though it was ostensibly designed by a local pitmaster (and by local, I mean in the same county - ten minutes away...) - our Wal-Mart doesn't stock the Carolina variety...at least not yet. :confused:

Nonetheless, I like the varieties I've tried - sampled them all with a "squirt on the finger" test, but have only used the Texas and Carolina varieties with cooks I've done. Not the best sauces I've had, but far from the worst - and better overall than most "mass-marketed, grocery store" sauces out there. The Memphis variety is nicely sweet/smoky/spicy - my own bottle will probably wind up as a "base" for making a rib sauce. The Kansas City variety is VERY sweet. Good on ya if that's what you prefer, but...whew...I'll take my pork and chicken WITHOUT the side of Diabetes, thanks. :mrgreen: The Texas sauce is nice - not as "tangy" or spicy as, say, Stubb's original, but another good "base" sauce that I'll probably use for making brisket dip or a topper for sliced beef/pit beef sandwiches. Although marketed as a "tangy, vinegar-based" sauce, the Carolina variety isn't what I'd consider a typical "East Carolina-style" vinegar-based sauce. It's definitely good, and I do like it on pulled/chopped pork, but don't buy it expecting the same "peppery vinegar" sauce that you'd get at the Skylight Inn. It actually reminds me a little bit of the "Sweet Rib Sauce" that Sam serves at his newest place (Sam Jones BBQ.) It's definitely good, though - great on chicken, as a side dip for turkey, and it mixes well with "traditional, vinegar-based" sauces from Eastern Carolina to make a great pulled pork sauce. :clap2:

Last edited:
I got the 4 pack from my local Wally World - none are spicy even the Texas version which I expected to have some bite to it. None are of the "I've got the latest n' greatest 180 score so I'll be beating everyone now" variety. The KC is about like KCM/Cattlemans type, the Memphis has some flavor to me & was probably my fav of the bunch. The NC wasn't a vinegar sauce like I'd expected but it was thinner but still on the thick side but not much flavor to me but kinda reminds me of the old std Kraft w/ the minced onion chunks that used to be all you could get at grocery stores. Didn't much care for the Texas one at all but nothing really stood out to me on it. My test was the squirt on finger test but cooking w/ them may change the flavors so will experiment w/ them at some point. As someone said above - probably good as a base for a doctored version for all of them.

Sorry for those who put their name on them in the commercials if they happen to be members here but this was just my opinion of them - hard/critical though it may be

Sampler Results

Hi All Here are my findings on the samples.
KC and Memphis were almost same. Even my wife liked some what. Put both on different ribs for about 30 minutes..Couldn't really tell the difference,maybe my taste buds were shot at that time.
Texas I liked the little kick, finger test
Carolina maybe on Pull Pork, finger test
Thanks DanB
PS Blue Hogs BBQ Sauce still wins out!!

Hi All Here are my findings on the samples.
KC and Memphis were almost same. Even my wife liked some what. Put both on different ribs for about 30 minutes..Couldn't really tell the difference,maybe my taste buds were shot at that time.
Texas I liked the little kick, finger test
Carolina maybe on Pull Pork, finger test
Thanks DanB
PS Blue Hogs BBQ Sauce still wins out!!

I agree with the KC/Memphis comparison, they have a very similar flavor profile but the memphis seems to have a little bit more seasoning to it, which is weird because the 2 Kansas City sauces i've had from Gates and Arthur Bryants seemed to have unique seasonings and tasted nothing like the Heinz version

I agree with the KC/Memphis comparison, they have a very similar flavor profile but the memphis seems to have a little bit more seasoning to it, which is weird because the 2 Kansas City sauces i've had from Gates and Arthur Bryants seemed to have unique seasonings and tasted nothing like the Heinz version

That's because Gates' and Bryant's aren't typical KC sauces. The run of the mill KC sauce is very thick and sweet. Try some KC Masterpiece, Bullseye, or Cattlesman KC Classic.

Back