Heading to Fogo de Chao...

I consider Fogo de Chao a destination theme restaurant, and like many, the event gets hyped as much as anything, often leading to disappointment. I think their sourcing is difficult at times. We have had several iterations of Brazilian and Argentinian places start and fail out here with the main complaint of the owners being sourcing. Of course, unlike much of this country, the Bay Area is not a meat centric dining culture.

Thanks for not raining on my parade. Friend we went with had been to this location a few times before and felt the meats were not as good as they had been the last two times he was there. We had a 6:00 pm reservation and the place was hopping even then. Also learned I am not a fan of lamb so... now I know.

Don't give up so quickly on lamb. I have had some lamb that was incredible but other times it was gamey and not very good.

Yeah the after taste was like dirt....

I have had that before on occasion and it has put me off lamb for a while, sometimes for years! I've also had it taste very gamy and also like hand lotion, yech! It is still one of my favorite meats, when it is good.

I've been to the Fogo in Chicago a few times. I was also lucky enough to take 2 trips to Brazil for work. On my first trip, my first night, they took me to Fogo. They were surprised that I had been to one before. Down there it's different though. They have waaaay more cuts of meat and other interesting things....like one of the gaucho's just carrying around chicken hearts on his skewer. There were some other pork cuts I didn't recognize.

Here's a scan of their beef menu...as you can see, way more cuts that what you can get in the states....

By comparison, the quality of the meat there was outstanding. They eat a lot of it. I think what you get here really depends on the supply in your area since a lot can be dependent on that. And if you have a bunch of Brazilian imports doing the cooking.

I'll end with this funny note. I asked Paulo, my main contact that I spent a lot of time with. "How come no one eats chicken?" His response, "A whole chicken costs around 1 Real (about 50 cents), chicken is for poor people".

I ate so much beef and seafood for those 2 weeks.....

Attachments

• beef-menu1-fogodechao.jpg
    beef-menu1-fogodechao.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 13
Back