Head Country Rub

White Dog BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
To me, Head Country Rub has a distinctive smell and taste, but I can't put my finger on it. Does anyone know what spice or spices give it its distinctive taste? Thanks.

Erik

No, its not the garlic or salt that gives it that distinct smell, I know what your talking about. Its an herby smell. If I remember correctly the ingredients are listed on the side. Been a long time since I had some.

Its a Okie Secret
yea garlic and salt
We went on the plant tour when there
wonderful folks

I remember that, you kept trying to get back into the office to steal the recipes. Didn't Paul have to tackle you? I agree with the salt.

I used some of this for the first time on a brisket last weekend...Loved IT

It's not the garlic I'm smelling and tasting -- something else, as JRB said. Maybe it is oregano -- I'll have to smell some to see.

It has Oregano, and also dried green pepper flakes. The flakes clog the shaker holes sometimes. I hate green peppers, and I mean HATE green peppers, and I can smell them in anything. If you pick the green stuff out of the rub some of it is Oregano, some I think are chives, and some are Green Pepper flakes. That said when you cook Head Country I dont taste the green pepper. It is really salty too, though.

I like it on chicken..I always suspected it some type of powdered bouillon in it but thats just speculation

I always thought it was an 'herb/boullion' smell, and the ingredients did not seem to jib with what I thought I smelled. It is very different.

--Larry

I like it on chicken also, it gives the skin a good flavor and the saltiness isn't there after it's cooked. Don't really use it on anything but chicken though.

Back