THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adubree86

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well I'm having a heck of a time picking a cooker. Right now I'm torn between a 24x42 shirley with a 3 shelf warmer or a 24x24 lone star grillz vert offset. If I cook in both the chamber and the warmer of the Shirley I'll have 2512 sqin of cooking space and could do butts without removing racks. If I go with the lonestar I'll have 3456 sqin of cooking space but if I do butts then I'll have to remove every other rack and be down to 1728 sqin of cooking space.

My Pros on the Shirley
1) I like reverse flow
2) Can cook large quantities without removing grates
3) Can cook in only the warmer to reduce fuel consumption on smaller cooks
4) Very even heat distribution

My Cons on the Shirley
1) More expensive than the Lonestar

My Pros on the Lonestar
1) Can hold more if not doing the butts.
2) Smaller footprint
3) Price

My Cons on the Lonestar
1) Larger temp variance from bottom to top
2) May use more fuel on smaller cooks than cooking in just the warmer of the shirley .

I've talked to both Paul and Chris. Both excellent guys with a wealth of knowledge on smoking and their products.

Both? :biggrin:

Sounds like you have done your homework, and you need to decide how many big butt cooks you will do and how important the other factors are to you. I don't think you will be unhappy either way.

The smaller footprint and lower cost of the LGS may benefit you for future purchases. On the other hand looking at your current arsenal of cookers looks like you NEED a horizontal offset...

Why do you feel you need to remove grates on the LSG for Butts? I never did...

EDIT:

I tried to go look for a picture of a butt cook from when I had the LSG Vertical Offset. I only did one cook of two butts. It appears I had the grate above it pulled out for ease of probing, but looking at the picture, I am not sure it was required.

IMG_3766_zpsviztanpp.jpg

Unless its a major difference I wouldnt let money play too much of a factor. 6 months from now youll forget about the dollar amount.

It is a pretty big price difference. Roughly 25% higher to go with Shirley.

Last edited:
Chris with Lone Star says they won't fit so I was just taking his word for it.

Why do you feel you need to remove grates on the LSG for Butts? I never did...

EDIT:

I tried to go look for a picture of a butt cook from when I had the LSG Vertical Offset. I only did one cook of two butts. It appears I had the grate above it pulled out for ease of probing, but looking at the picture, I am not sure it was required.

I am not going to go against Chris, cause hell, he built the things. I just seem to remember it having enough room. But, I am old and have slept and drank many beers since I had mine. Be kinda a design flaw that one of the more commonly cooked items would require removing grates.

I have sent a text to The Wookie (the new owner of my LSG vertical offset) and hopefully he can chime in and give his opinion.

Not sure how scientific heads/tails is but I did best of 7 and head won 4 to 2. If only making this decision could be that easy.

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
I am not going to go against Chris, cause hell, he built the things. I just seem to remember it having enough room. But, I am old and have slept and drank many beers since I had mine. Be kinda a design flaw that one of the more commonly cooked items would require removing grates.

I have sent a text to The Wookie (the new owner of my LSG vertical offset) and hopefully he can chime in and give his opinion.

What was your reasoning for selling?

Back