Have to praise the Mini WSM

Mdboatbum

Full Fledged Farker
No pron because it wasn't my smoke. I loaned the mini to a buddy of mine so he could smoke 2 butts for Mother's day weekend. Went over Friday morning. We needed to leave at 11:30 to go pick up a boat, so I planned to be there at 10 to get everything going. Well I was late. Got there at 11. Fired up the mini right away with K-ford and apple chunks using the minion method. I still haven't made a fire basket, so it was just piled in the bowl of the Smokey Joe Gold. By 11:20, it was around 160˚. We were both antsy to leave, since the boat was a freebie (crazy but true, a Catalina 22 in good shape for free. Lady was moving cross country and didn't have time to deal with it) and we didn't wanna miss out on it by being late. Anyway, we put 2 8lb. bone in butts on, opened the vents all the way, put the lid on and left, thinking we'd be back in an hour. I was pretty worried. Would the temp shoot up to 400˚? Would the fire go out? So, off we go. The mission ended up taking much longer than expected, as the boat wasn't ready to travel. Both trailer tires were flat and we needed to get all the cushions, sails and equipment out of her basement. We also needed to secure the mast for travel. Long story short, we pulled back into his driveway at 3:30. I jumped out of the truck before he'd even stopped and did a mad dash to the smoker. I couldn't see or smell smoke. This was going to be bad. I grab the remote for the ET 732 off the table next to the smoker and what do I see?.....
Food probe reads 145˚, pit probe reads 225˚. Abso freaking lutely PERFECT! We added another load of charcoal around 5:30 and I left him there to finish the smoke on his own. He said they finished well after midnight due to a long stall. Went over for dinner ladst night and I gotta say it was some pretty dang good pulled pork. After messing around with cheap Brinkmanns (he had the box style, I had the round ECB style) I can't believe how much better this little tamale pot smoker works. He's sold as well, in fact I haven't gotten it back yet. I may have to make him one to get mine back!

Wow, your buddy got a free boat and a new free smoker on the same day. Score!

^^
Haha!! The boat is a joint venture, we'll be racing wednesday nights starting in June then sell it after the season and split the profits. The smoker may be a lost cause. He seems awfully fond of it.

Mini WSMs are pretty stinking amazing!

I'd love a 14" WSM but I doubt it'd work any better.

I love my mini! I haven't made a charcoal basket for it and I really don't see a need to right now. I love that it's just the right size for a chicken, and since I cook a chicken every weekend no matter what, it's perfect. :thumb:

I love my mini! I haven't made a charcoal basket for it and I really don't see a need to right now. I love that it's just the right size for a chicken, and since I cook a chicken every weekend no matter what, it's perfect. :thumb:

It is amazing for chicken. I've made 4 or 5 spatchcocked birds, and each one is better than the last. I dunno what it does to them, but they're always tender and juicy as can be. I take it to the same temp as I do in the oven, and run just about the same smoker temp as I do in the oven, but somehow they're always more tender and juicy out of the mini.
I have a rack of ribs waiting for it to come home, hopefully within a day or two.

Back