Hatch Green Chile Sausage...Pron

looks great! never thought about marinating the meat before grinding. will add that to my list of things to do!
It adds another layer of flavor and since you need to add some liquid anyway to get the mix tacky, I figure this way it makes it's way inot the meat a bit more. I end up adding a bit more liquid at the very end before stuffing if the mix is still too dry, but it's very little.

Hope i get some of those in my Christmas stocking :-D
Your son is growing up fast!

Paul

He is! And his little sis (his shadow, as we call her) is is right on his heels.

Thanks again everyone.

Looks awesome Bob and cute boy you have there too! I need to get a sausage stuffer I've been wanting to make link sausage but I hear its a PITA using the attachment for the meat grinders. Looking forward to some cooked pics.

Great looking sausage, Bob. I have been itching to make some homemade sausage, thanks for sharing, may try your recipe and advice.

Thanks again! I grilled one up in the gasser for dinner (fast and hot...hungry wife and kids mod). The flavor was nice. I need to put some in the drum though so that I can get that whole other flavor profile.

Quick ? for you sausage pro's....this is my 3rd time making links. I only grind the meat once because I like that "bitey" texture in the links. How many times do the rest of you run it through the grinder and what's the logic behind grinding it 2 or more times? My son and I are hitting the library tomorrow so I'll check if they have any good sausage making books I can check out. I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Bob

Looks great to me!! I have not done the sausage routine before. What do you recommend for the grinder and where do you get the casings? This is my first post so pardon me if the answers are obvious. Great web site and resource for Q-tips.

Dave

Thanks again! I grilled one up in the gasser for dinner (fast and hot...hungry wife and kids mod). The flavor was nice. I need to put some in the drum though so that I can get that whole other flavor profile.

Quick ? for you sausage pro's....this is my 3rd time making links. I only grind the meat once because I like that "bitey" texture in the links. How many times do the rest of you run it through the grinder and what's the logic behind grinding it 2 or more times? My son and I are hitting the library tomorrow so I'll check if they have any good sausage making books I can check out. I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Bob

Bob, I'm going to try some with the chile's. I have a years supply of roasted ones in the freezer. :biggrin:

I'm a single grind guy myself. I think the double gind is too dense.

c9b39a95.jpg

Here is a good tip .... if you crank out a little tit of meat, then crank counterclockwise to stop it, the meat will help your rinsed casing slide on the tube.​

DSC07260a.jpg

Looks great to me!! I have not done the sausage routine before. What do you recommend for the grinder and where do you get the casings? This is my first post so pardon me if the answers are obvious. Great web site and resource for Q-tips.

Dave

Welcome Dave! Here's a recent thread where we discussed just that.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74137
Make sure you head over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself. Once again, welcome!

Bob, I'm going to try some with the chile's. I have a years supply of roasted ones in the freezer. :biggrin:

I'm a single grind guy myself. I think the double gind is too dense.

c9b39a95.jpg

Here is a good tip .... if you crank out a little tit of meat, then crank counterclockwise to stop it, the meat will help your rinsed casing slide on the tube.​

DSC07260a.jpg

That "tip" is literally a time and lifesaver. I didn't know about it the first time and I used the grinder to stuff the first time........I almost said Fark It and nearly decided to never make sausage again. Getting a stuffer and using that technique saves a ton of time and frustration when trying to get the casing on. Try some chiles, Wayne, I think you'll like em. Also, if you only grind once, which size grinding plate do you use?

Bob, thanks for sharing your sausage:shock::biggrin:

LOL!! Not quite as "girthy" as your loins, but they got some good lenght on em?:lol:

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Bob, I am hardly a pro but here is what I do. I just made a batch of Lingusia and I like big hunks of meat (don't we all!). I make the first grind with a 1/2 plate. This is after removing most of the thick fat (Pork Butts). I mix all of my spices and Port wine with the pork and let it sit in the fridge for a day or so. It is safe as I put in Prague Powder t kill the bad stuff. You will not be able to stuff the casings with the 1/2 inch chunk. The stuffer wont hardly push it and what does go into the casing has way too many air pockets. I take about 1/3 of the batch and run it thru the 1/4 inch plate then mix it back in. I then take all of the trimmed fat and run it thru my smallest plate 3/16 I think. When you get all three grinds together you get a great texture. Kinda like a crunch bar. Big chunks of Pork surrounded by finer pork and the fat. It also helps with controlling the amount of fat you have.

NUTZ

Bob, I am hardly a pro but here is what I do. I just made a batch of Lingusia and I like big hunks of meat (don't we all!). I make the first grind with a 1/2 plate. This is after removing most of the thick fat (Pork Butts). I mix all of my spices and Port wine with the pork and let it sit in the fridge for a day or so. It is safe as I put in Prague Powder t kill the bad stuff. You will not be able to stuff the casings with the 1/2 inch chunk. The stuffer wont hardly push it and what does go into the casing has way too many air pockets. I take about 1/3 of the batch and run it thru the 1/4 inch plate then mix it back in. I then take all of the trimmed fat and run it thru my smallest plate 3/16 I think. When you get all three grinds together you get a great texture. Kinda like a crunch bar. Big chunks of Pork surrounded by finer pork and the fat. It also helps with controlling the amount of fat you have.

NUTZ

That linquisa sounds fantastic. While I left on a good bit of fat, I may keep more of the trimmed stuff next time and play around with the grinds a bit just to see what differences I notice. I'll be going through most of what I made next week as my uncle from PHX is coming into town and plan on smoking up a good bit of it. I still have another pack of casings and pork butts will be on sale till New Years as many people here buy them this time of year for tamales. Hmmmm....Thanks NUTZ

That "tip" is literally a time and lifesaver. I didn't know about it the first time and I used the grinder to stuff the first time........I almost said Fark It and nearly decided to never make sausage again. Getting a stuffer and using that technique saves a ton of time and frustration when trying to get the casing on. Try some chiles, Wayne, I think you'll like em. Also, if you only grind once, which size grinding plate do you use?

I guess that would make a difference from grinder to grinder....I'll have to get a measurement. I have the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment and it only has two plates. I use the larger one.

Several times my buddies have done a sausage-a-thon. We buy a 2 or 3 cases of butts and drop them off at a small meat processor for grinding. If we mix the spices and bag them in amounts for 20#, 30# or whatever, they will even season it. The commercial grinder has large holes in the plates, and they do what they call a sausage grind..... which is most likely a double grind.

My grinder has a fine, medium and course grind plates. Course plate holes are about the diameter of a pencil and the fine has holes about the diameter of a toothpick or so. I can't find exact sizes, but here's a pic of the plates. What I noticed when I grilled one of the links was that with grilling, the fat doesn't melt as nicely as when you smoke it at lower temps and let it do it's thing. I was thinking that if I went finer on the fat then that would allow it to melt faster in high heat grilling and making for a juicier link. Just overthinking it probably. Curious what you all think.

Last edited:
Back