Harpoon Vt 2009 Invitational

Can't believe everything you read

Everything I have read on the NEBS site has been negative. We registered the week the applications came out, so we are happy to hear we have a contest to go to. We enjoyed ourselves there last year, and did not understand the negativity to begin with.

Oooooooooh, we understand.:wink:

Please understand that the Yahoo group is not the NEBS site it is an
open forum much like this one... the NEBS web site is www.nebs.org
you can't believe everything you read on the yahoo group... some people
write stuff just to stir the pot.. Please check the real NEBS web site
or contact the NEBS Bod should you have a question..

Thanx

Vinny, I posted this over on the NE yahoo group. I dont know if this changes your thinking on things. I dont think its only about vending

~~~
I spoke to Fitz about this. There is no criteria at this point, nothing is set in stone. There is only a desire to allow other teams, teams that have been on the waiting list, teams that could improve the public enjoyment of the event to participate.

The Wildwood, NJ event has had the same issue. Again nothing is decided at all, its more of a heads up that something will change next year.

Chris

Here's my take :

I believe Harpoon has every right to do what they want with their contest.

With that said, I think it sucks and leaves me with little desire to go up there this year. It's almost being a "lame duck" situation.

I also think it's pretty comical that while I did receive an application as a returning team, I have not received this same notification/news that prospective teams have. I'm glad I am finding this out before I send in my $300 check for a contest that has a not so stellar payout.

As far as the contest, it's a nice contest. It's not that much better than anything else I've been to. Take away the free beer and then it's like most contests in most aspects.

I understand their desire to have the teams vend. However, not all teams have the skills, resources, coordination or want to take the risk of vending and all that it entails.

May need to switch gears here and go compete at the Troy Pig Out in Albany the week before and save a lot on gas money.

Thanks Chris... I had not been on the NEBS forum this evening so I did not see your post over there yet.

Seems a bit pre-mature if nothing was set in stone or no criteria establish to make anyone aware of the situation.

I like the way Giants Stadium operates. They have a waiting list to buy season tickets and the ticket rights. They don't start from scratch each year and open it up to bring in all new fans wanting to have season tickets. They cater to the fans that support them who buy season tickets in years past.

I also like contests that operate that way. Sure it may not be fair to teams who want in, but it also makes the contests memorable in that you look forward to seeing the same teams from the previous year and chatting. New Holland is a perfect example. MAxed out at 72 teams. During the cooks meeting each year they ask for a show of hands of the # of years teams have returned. It's amazing to see how many have supported it since the first few years.

They'll be sure to get some big names in addition to the handful that are already in or allowing the top placing teams a spot, but if they don't do anything I think it will be a challenge to get 40-50 national level teams driving all the way to VT to compete.

Or they may end up with 25 middle of the pack teams who will vend and serve less than avg BBQ as vendors. The vending part makes sense, but I think the public would be just as satisfied if some of the big catering guys like Jack McDavid, Smoken Dudes etc were just catering. As long as the prices were the same, the offering was diverse etc.

Last edited:
I like the way Giants Stadium operates. They have a waiting list to buy season tickets and the ticket rights. They don't start from scratch each year and open it up to bring in all new fans wanting to have season tickets. They cater to the fans that support them who buy season tickets in years past.

I also like contests that operate that way. Sure it may not be fair to teams who want in, but it also makes the contests memorable in that you look forward to seeing the same teams from the previous year and chatting. New Holland is a perfect example. MAxed out at 72 teams. During the cooks meeting each year they ask for a show of hands of the # of years teams have returned. It's amazing to see how many have supported it since the first few years.

Vinny,
Please refresh my memory. Weren't you complaining to me a couple of years ago that it was unfair of new teams being shut out of some filled up contests.

Wildwood has a pretty good way of giving new teams a chance of getting in the contest. The top 2/3 of teams get an automatic entry. The bottom 1/3 and all the new applicants get into the contest by the earliest post mark.

With BBQ growing many contests will probably have this problem in the future

Vinny,
Please refresh my memory. Weren't you complaining to me a couple of years ago that it was unfair of new teams being shut out of some filled up contests.

Sorry Rich... I don't think that was me. I've been fortunate enough to get into every contest I've wanted to since I started out with the exception of Harpoon my first year. If we did discuss, while maybe dissappointed after hearing how great everybody said it was and not getting in the first time, I would not have been complaining about it as there were other contests to go to.

As I said in my first post, the organizers have a right to conduct their contest however they choose.

Maybe it was pre-mature, especially with the number of critics we seem to have in the BBQ community.

I'm going to suggest to Fitz to do something like what Wildwood started. And again from my conversation with Fitz its not about getting 40 national teams or a bunch of vendors like Smokin Dudes. Its about getting some new teams in each year that improve the event for the public... Do you think the BBQ-Brethren can do that? I do.

Thanks Chris... I had not been on the NEBS forum this evening so I did not see your post over there yet.

Seems a bit pre-mature if nothing was set in stone or no criteria establish to make anyone aware of the situation.

I don't. I see it at many contests. Folks come through the competition area and are pissed when we point them over to Jack or Smoken Dudes for food. They want to eat the food the competition teams are preparing! This is one of the key things that has made the Harpoon event successful.

Or they may end up with 25 middle of the pack teams who will vend and serve less than avg BBQ as vendors. The vending part makes sense, but I think the public would be just as satisfied if some of the big catering guys like Jack McDavid, Smoken Dudes etc were just catering. As long as the prices were the same, the offering was diverse etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't. I see it at many contests. Folks come through the competition area and are pissed when we point them over to Jack or Smoken Dudes for food. They want to eat the food the competition teams are preparing! This is one of the key things that has made the Harpoon event successful.

I agree Chris and to me it's also one of the things that makes Harpoon special. Getting to interact with the general public is a hoot. When the same guy comes back to your booth 3 teams for more food and raves how good it is, it's a great feeling. When the same person comes back 3 years in a row it's an even greater feeling. Harpoon is not just "another contest" in my opinion and it has very little to do with the free beer. I will miss the swimming though.

Last year was our first year at Harpoon and we had a blast. It was by far one of the best contests we have competed at. I understand why they are changing their criteria. How easily we forget that they are a business trying to promote thier Brewery. If I were in their shoes I would consider inviting the best teams and asking them to provide their products to the public. This is a marketing move pure and simple. We will be back this year and try our hardest to get invited next year. If we are not invited next year, there is no reason to become upset. We will just find another July contest and have a blast there. No great shakes.

I will miss the swimming though.

Just as well for us because I don't think anyone would want to see either me or my brother in a bathing suit!:tongue:

I agree Chris and to me it's also one of the things that makes Harpoon special. Getting to interact with the general public is a hoot. When the same guy comes back to your booth 3 teams for more food and raves how good it is, it's a great feeling. When the same person comes back 3 years in a row it's an even greater feeling. Harpoon is not just "another contest" in my opinion and it has very little to do with the free beer. I will miss the swimming though.
I do not vend and do not have a desire to. as far as the inviting the top 2/3 back like wildwood, that is not great either. Lets say i am a top 5 team and i have been supporting this event from the beginningand doing very well every year, i have a very bad weekend and tank. Get where i am going with this? It is like me being loyal to a contest and this is the loyalty i get back in return? Another example, i am not a good cook and do not vend but love to compete and now i do not get in even though i supported the event when they were in the first year?

I do not vend and do not have a desire to. as far as the inviting the top 2/3 back like wildwood, that is not great either. Lets say i am a top 5 team and i have been supporting this event from the beginningand doing very well every year, i have a very bad weekend and tank. Get where i am going with this? It is like me being loyal to a contest and this is the loyalty i get back in return? Another example, i am not a good cook and do not vend but love to compete and now i do not get in even though i supported the event when they were in the first year?

I don't remember seeing you at Harpoon the 1st year :wink:

I don't remember seeing you at Harpoon the 1st year :wink:
Good one! I am not bashing the contest or questioning it but i am just trying to figure out what makes this event a premiere event. I have never competed there and only came up last year as a spectator. From what i understand si far, low payouts, no trophies. I don drink beer so that option is out. So?

Good one! I am not bashing the contest or questioning it but i am just trying to figure out what makes this event a premiere event. I have never competed there and only came up last year as a spectator. From what i understand si far, low payouts, no trophies. I don drink beer so that option is out. So?

To me it's all about the people , the location and the vending. Would I like to see more prize money ? You bet ! Trophies are no big deal to me. We got 2nd place pork at the Royal and only got a ribbon (and a check).

1. Venue. I daresay it might be more scenic then Troy, NY. :p

2. Harpoon has a staff that runs these types of events professionally all year. I think having staff deliver ice, pickup trash, have solid water and electricity, drop off beer at your site, etc. goes a long way for many teams that arent used to much service at all. Logistically they run a tight ship.

3. And then the vending. Many teams do not focus on vending but simply sell leftover contest meats... maybe cook a little extra. This allows a whole bunch of teams to go home close to break even. Probably the #1 reason imo.

4. The public loves it. I can't think of any contest that has been as successful at connecting the public and the teams. Isnt that what the KCBS roadshow is trying to do?

Last year before the contest, reading all the pre-contest enthusiasm and hype posted here... I was unsure the event could live up to it. Sounds like it did for some and not so much for others.

Those be some good reasons. What is the deal with vending? What is the fee? Do you need a special permit?

My two cents...for what it's worth. We were fortunate enough to get into Harpoon last year, our first time there. It was also our first time doing a contest in New England.

It was a BLAST! So much so, that we're coming back this year. I think the thing that we found so intriguing were the people. We met some spectators (I can't BELIEVE they stood out in the rain to get bbq!), got to meet some of the people I've only heard about through contest results, etc. {side bar, Uncle Jed, did NOT look like the Uncle Jed I pictured! LOL} The hospitality, bar none. Sure there was free beer, but, the atmosphere was the first I'd ever seen at a contest and I've been doing this for over ten years. Everybody getting together to watch a movie on Saturday night, the hootin' and hollering when someone got called. What you all have there is extraordinary, not just at Harpoon, but, bbq in general. You're a pretty tight-knit community.

BTW, we're vending on Sunday and we're coming in from Missouri. It's not about the money, it's about meeting some new folks and thanking the organizers for a wonderful event by helping them promote barbeque.

Now, "Business Steph" .....contests belong to the organizer. They foot the bill, it's their playground, per se.

Side note: NOW they add $250 for the RGC in the Grilling contest! LMAO! I wonder if they'll make that retro-active??? ; )

I agree Steph. I feel very fortunate to have been in the contest last year. I wanted nothing better to be able to go back this year, if not to make up for a crappy showing, but to support the event. (We decided to not make 5 drives of over 2000 miles this year only because of the price of gas.) I have been all over the US and I must say that this contest is unique. In my opinion, the crowds are worth going back for. They appreciate the teams being out there and they obviously enjoy eating BBQ. Which makes it magical.

I'll miss going back this year and I hope to see some of my new friends in Lake Placid. I'll also miss swimming in the river, as that was a very unique experience as well. But I understand the liability fear. I guess the next thing to go would be them taking away the "Camp Harpoon" and not allow the teams to camp out in the field... Another unique feature of this fun contest.

Scottie

Personally, I didn't see a difference. Even with the rain they had on Sunday.

It was unbelievable the amount of people.

Steph

Up on the hill I think we had a little more traffic on Saturday, but Sunday wasn't bad at all.

Back