"Happy Phriday Pharkers,what's Smoking this Weekend?"

Spare ribs for my comp! Just a small backyard rib contest at the county fair, but should be a fun, low stress intro to competition.

Really wanted a brisky... Butt they were out. So a Butt and a chuckie for faux burnt ends ands Wampus beans are on the list...

Rotisserie chicken on Sat and smoked butt for Sunday. My sons all teary eyed cause he's working both days but I'm sure he'll be sniffing around about 2200. LOL.

I'm going to attempt my first tri-tip Sunday. I called the local butcher and they have some so I'll be snagging a couple in the morning.

Something different

Have eaten many "good"briskets. Have tried to cook a couple via conventional methods and were not impressive.
BUT!! Honestly the absolute best beef i have ever eaten of anykind was a brisket prepared on a bbq grill and slow cooked. (kinda sorta)

A friend kept tellin me i had to try his momma's brisket.His parents are born and raised Texans but they sure didnt cook it traditonally ala slow cooking.

Heres how she did it. (Or told me how to do it)

1 packer brisket. Wail on it with lowery's seasoning salt. Then mix 1 small bottle of italian dressing with 1/2 bottle of buttermilk salad dressing.
Put the seasoned packer in one of those large disposable pans.
Pour the combined dressings over the top of the brisky.
Chunk up a medium onion and scater about the pan.
Cover with foil.

His dad used one of those small square cheap grills like u buy at hd or lowes. He painstakingly laid out exactly 2 layers of charcoal over the entire coal grid. Then he just used regular ol starter juice and fired it off.
Once it flamed down he let it go for about another 10 minutes.
Then he just sat the covered pan with the brisky in it on the cooking grate and shut the lid.
Barely cracked the front and rear bottom intakes and top exhaust open about 1/4.
At 2 hours he uncoverd the pan and flipped brisky.
at 4 hrs he took foil off.
At 6 hrs he took it off grill, put foil back on and just let it sit while the mrs made Texas style skillet hashbrowns and other sides.
Removed the beef from pan and sliced. Or rather tried to. It fell to pieces.
Know it doesnt really fit the brethren definition of bbq'd brisky....but i'll go on record sayin it was the best beef of anykind i ever ate...and ate...and ate.
So me for me sunday imma hit a medium chuckie with the same game plan and see what happens!!

Got my first pork shoulder smokin', and the bsk is misbehavin.
Been 7 hours an i shoulda been four!
News at eleben.

Doing my first beef ribs. Bought 4 slabs. I'll use my brisket rub on 2 slabs and a new concoction with a bit more kick.

9# butt on the smoker
2 pizza fatties (never done a fatty before)
Beef sate on the grill
Corn bread with bacon
Friend bringing 4 slabs ribs
About 20 friends coming to eat it all!

Friday Night Steak Night (last night :oops:) KCBS comp today and tomorrow in Snohomish, WA. Have a great weekend folks! :becky:

7615923672_5039b808b8.jpg

66 and scattered showers...gotta love it
7615922482_0b939628c5.jpg

Jerry-rigged a tin foil hat to keep the rain out.

5.5 lb prime rib roast, gonna pit it until 120ish then let it rest in foil and finish/reheat in oven. Really looking forward to this one! Also have some ceder planked gulf shrimp and twice baked potato's to go w/ it.

Back