Hanging Baby Back Ribs

NorthwestBBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Hey, it's been a long time since I posted. Lately, I have been hanging ribs in my 18" WSM with a Hunsaker Rib Hanger. I just rub them and hang them. I put the sauce on after I remove them from the cooker. They really come out great.

Attachments

• rib hanging-1.jpg
    rib hanging-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 168
  • rib hanging-2.jpg
    rib hanging-2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 170
  • rib hanging-3.jpg
    rib hanging-3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Looking good! My “taste testers” prefer hung ribs. I usually do something similar but I return the ribs to the cooker to set the sauce for 15-20 min.

I have not nor probably will not ever hang a rack of ribs.
Could someone explain to me how the lower end nearest the heat does not burn crispy while the upper portion remains undercooked?
Ed

Could someone explain to me how the lower end nearest the heat does not burn crispy while the upper portion remains undercooked?
Ed

It's a 2-part deal.... and the bottom rib is sacrificial. But on St Louis trim, it's the smallest bone that many remove anyway.

Part 1 - In a drum (or WSM) heat and smoke rises to the top of the cooker and cools off along the way, some exits the vent and the rest migrates down again. Kind of a vertical convection sort of thing. So other than the bottom rib, the cooking is very even and here's why:

Part 2 - When ribs are flat on a grate, the heat hits the major surface (think palm or back of your hand when held horizontally) and starts to cook them. And when ribs are hanging, the heat only hits a narrow edge directly (think finger tips if your hand is hanging from your wrist vertically) and the rest of the heat rises and falls in the convection.

So, now you have this (convection) column of heat and smoke that is making direct contact with only one edge of a hanging rack of ribs. The two major faces are in an envelope of heat and smoke, and cooking somewhat indirect. The best part is you can hang say 6 racks of ribs or 6 pork loins and still get really good convection in the drum. On the other hand, if you load up a grate, (or even two grates if you have a tall drum) most of the convection is near the sides of the drum. I have hung 8 racks of ribs in my drum and they all cooked just fine, but I spin the entire rack 90° a couple of times during cooking.

Ed

They are more even than you would think. I trim the rib ends off and hang from the thick part of the rack. I suspect they are not raw at the top and burnt at the bottom because 1) the surface area actually facing the coals is very tiny compared to the whole rack, so not a lot of radiant heat going in, 2) there’s plenty of hot air convection from bottom to top cooking all of the ribs, 3) there’s a hot spot at the top of the cooker that’s trapping very hot air up there cooking those ribs faster as well.

Back