THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J

jsn1511

anyone have any secrets on smoking hams? how long does a ham generally take to smoke?

I do my hams at 250 deg for about 45 min a pound. I like to score the fatty top part before I pour on a marinade and let it soak in for a few hours. I like to use a mix of honey and worchestshire sauce for a glaze. Glaze right before you put in smoker.

I cheat, I use a pre cooked butt or shank, put it in the beast while doing some ribs, butt or other items. Smoke a 5-6 1b.er for about 3 hours, remove and serve. I take the remainder and cut it up into meal pkg. sizes for nuking at lunch or use in ham and beans.

The last time I used my pork butt as a baster. It was great.

Next time I plan on using one of those spiral cut jobs with the honey glaze. They are cheap at the grocery store but cost a fortune at the fancy Honey Glaze stores.

nice link, thanks for all your input guys. I don't know when i will do the ham but i will let you know how it tuns out when i do it.

BigdogSmoker said:
Next time I plan on using one of those spiral cut jobs with the honey glaze. They are cheap at the grocery store but cost a fortune at the fancy Honey Glaze stores.

Tried that once and mine started opening up and then wilting. If I do it again I'll tie it to hold the shape. Had some slices that dried out. YMMV

Jorge said:
BigdogSmoker said:

Tried that once and mine started opening up and then wilting. If I do it again I'll tie it to hold the shape. Had some slices that dried out. YMMV

That's why you need something greasy like a butt or ribs on top if it.

BigdogSmoker said:
Jorge said:
BigdogSmoker said:

That's why you need something greasy like a butt or ribs on top if it.

Fortunately for you, Emeril Lagasse will get the blame if I propose that here! :wink: "You've been watching FoodTV again, haven't you?!"

Harry need to chime in on this one! He does hams each year around Christmas.

Harry, where are you??

Also, Emeril did a show recently about brining a ham and then oven cooking it -- but of course it could be cooked in the Bandera!!

Brian, I'm pretty sure the recipe you're looking for starts with 5 pounds of uncooked rice then....

Back