THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BGEChicago

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
none
Hi Guys,

So a few weeks ago I picked up a picnic ham and a ham shank:
picture.php
[/IMG]
Removed the skin and made some chicharrones:
picture.php

Threw it in a large ziplock with salt, water and Prague powder, I wanted to keep it simple for my first try:
picture.php
[/IMG]

After curing for about 3 1/2 weeks I fired up the egg and put some hickory and apple chunks in, rubbed it with Meatheads pork rub:
picture.php
[/IMG]

Here it is a few hours later letting the glaze set:
picture.php
[/IMG]

Here it is finished:
picture.php
[/IMG]

It tasted pretty good, I'd do it again, it's really not that much work.

Thanks for looking!
Greg

Looks tasty! I need to give that a shot. Did you source the green ham from a local butcher?

Looks tasty! I need to give that a shot. Did you source the green ham from a local butcher?

Hey Erik,

Actually I picked these up from a Hispanic grocery store, the ones around me always seem to have them.... I think the total for both was $14.00

Thanks
Greg

Your ham looks tasty. I've ben wanting to try curing a whole green ham for a while now.
I have been having the butcher slice one up into ~ 2" slices & using my bacon dry cure.

Back