Halloween smoke

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
Wife wanted to have two sets of close family friends and their kids over for Halloween. I've had my LSG since February but have never gotten to cook anything on it for any of our friends due to covid.

Wife just wanted some ribs but we all know that wasn't happening! I didn't have time to do a long cook due to previous engagement in the morning. Including getting the smoker going I had 7 hrs. Challenge accepted!

Went with ribs, turkey breast, quail sausage, venison sausage and broke down the pork butt to money muscle and 'burnt ends' to get it done in time.

Broke the meats down the night before and started brinning the breast.

Here's some prep in the morning while fire was getting up to temp:

naAcvK2.jpg

Mycut0G.jpg

Various points during the cook:

eXoZ3bI.jpg

4YSDhHY.jpg

Love the direct side for a little char action:

KJ0jOuZ.jpg

The payoff:

H76Ij5Q.jpg

MRjX95T.jpg

5SFOWUH.jpg

DRr3ltY.jpg

Finally a buddies plate:

W3S6BBn.jpg

Everything turned out fantastic with the exception of the pork butt burnt ends which were dam tasty but a little over cooked. Last time I made them I started with about 1.5" sized chunks, this time I started with 1". I think the larger ones worked better.

Great day of BBQ and great to finally get to share my cooking with friends!

Last edited:
Have to be honest. The ribs were really good but they weren't as good as the last ones I made. It wasn't smoke flavor, or doneness or quality of meat. They just didn't have the pop of the last batch. Because I take pics of most stuff I cook now I could go back and see what my last batch looked like. Sure enough previous batch had close to double the salt/pepper:

LZ7ac06.png

OgE1dEm.png

The pork butt nuggets were a bit dried out as well. Looking through last cook and this one discovered two things. First they were about 1/2 the size of first batch and second I trimmed a bunch more fat off compared to first. I think I way over thought them this time. Cut into 2" chunks and don't trim at all. The smoker will do the rest!

j9og4kF.png

ZJDeXFe.png

Always learning, but it sure is nice to be able to go back to previous cooks and see what I did differently.

Back