Hallowed Vessel 🐖🐷🐖✌️

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Bacon grease. Cornbread, roasted veggies, fried simmered veggies, Frying, hell just putting on your hands and covering with plastic gloves. Guessing most grew up with a bacon grease jar, can, coffee cups, something to catch that liquid gold. Growing up ours was a Folgers coffee can. Sometimes it was in a lower cabinet often times it was on the counter near or in the stove. Never remember it in the fridge. Often times, well most times it included sausage grease too. Potter's breakfast sausage in the clothe bags. Mom didn't strain. Con fit sausage bacon bits made good gravy.
Hallowed vessel indeed

Last edited:
I grew up with the bacon drippins in an aluminum pot with a builtin strainer on the back of the stovetop. End of story. Wish I knew where that little guy was now. Long gone and probably no longer manufactured I’d bet. Times have not improved this part of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Although I cannot picture what that bacon grease container on my momma's stove looked like, I know she had one with a lid that sat on the stove top. Lord knows how old the grease at the bottom of the container was as Mom was always adding more grease to the container. On the other hand, she was always using grease from the container so maybe that container did get emptied once in a while.

Both of my parents were born in 1933 and grew up living frugal. Not much food got wasted in our house. When Mom would serve fried chicken, if you wanted a second piece of chicken, she inspected the piece you were just eating. If there was still meat on the bone, you did not get a second piece until all the meat had been cleaned off the first piece.

Mom passed away in 2000. Three years later, my brother and I cleaned out Dad's fridge. He had several different grease containers in the fridge. Each one was marked with the contents and the date they contents were put in the container. There was chicken grease, fish grease, pork lard, and beef tallow. Dad rendered his own lard and tallow. He swore that beef tallow was better than peanut oil for frying fish.

My grandpa used to say, "A poor boy has poor ways!"

Very cool post, Adams! :-D

This Hallowed Vessel has been in my wife's family for over 60 years.

NvF9duSh.jpg

Mason jar here too. We discovered the goodness of pancakes cooked with bacon grease while using the blackstone

Back