THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boudreaux

Knows what a fatty is.
I will be experiencing my very first Boston Butt on my 22" WSM. I cut the butt in half so it will not take some 12-14 hours to cook. But, I have no idea how long it will take.

I will be using my BBQ Guru Digiq on the WSM (minion method) and hope to experience a cook temp of 230* throughout the cook.

Any idea what time frame I will be faced with if I start at about 9 AM with ambient temps of about 60* outside....???

How many lbs is the cut you're cooking? In my experience, cutting a butt in half doesn't cut your cook time in half.

I have a 22.5 as well but have never been able to keep it below 250, can you maintain that low?

I have test cooked 2 separate sets of St Louis style ribs on this WSM on two occasions with the BBQ Guru Digiq with great results at a very stable 235*.

After the ribs were done, I let the pit continue. and achieved a total of 10 hours of heat at 235* with the charcoal bowl at about 3/4 full....

My only question is how long would a 3lbs butt take at 235* ....???

I just cooked a 5lb. half butt yesterday on my BGE at 250 degrees. I took 7.5 hours to hit internal temp of 203 degrees. I wrapped in foil with some apple juice after 5.5 hours.

It is always difficult to say how long it will take. There is so much variations. I've cooked 2 butts of the same size, side by side, and one took 2 hours longer than the other. Just a difference in the meats themselves. For a 3 lb butt at that temp, I would guess around 6 hours minimum. I cocked 2 8 lb butts yesterday at 250 and they were done in 9 hours. I don't wrap or anything until they're done. I wrap in Al foil, put in a cooler and cover with towels to rest for a couple of hours.

I'd probably just scrap the 230* idea and do more like 275* to cut your cook time down instead of cutting the meat in half. At 275* a 6lb but would usually take me around 7 - 8 hours, which you should have no troubles getting an 8 hour run time on a WSM.

Thanks for all the responses .....

It's 9:22 AM here and the 3 lb butt has been on since 9 AM. I look forward to near perfect results thanks to information provided here... If all goes well with this butt, I have plans for two large butts to be served on Christmas Eve.

Again, thank you very much.

I'd probably just scrap the 230* idea and do more like 275* to cut your cook time down instead of cutting the meat in half. At 275* a 6lb but would usually take me around 7 - 8 hours, which you should have no troubles getting an 8 hour run time on a WSM.

^^ What he said. Cook between 275 and 300 and be done in 6 or 7 hours cooking it whole.

Thank you all ......

I went back outside and brought up my cooking temp from 235* to 260*.
The WSM held well to that temp thanks to the Guru. I let it cook for 4 hours, wrapped it, and put it back on the WSM for two hours at 260*. When it was pulled off the pit, it was great...

I used a rub and BBQ Sauce that was sent to me along with the BBQ Guru DigiQ unit, called "Hav-N a BBQ" . That stuff is great. I could eat the sauce with a spoon. It's just that good.

Back