Halal Brisket at RD

I bought the brisket yesterday shortly before reading this thread and putting up my first post. I believe the receipt gives you the time frame for returns of perishable items. This was the first time I returned anything to RD. The process was simple.

Good Luck

How many days had you had it and were there any issues returning it?

Halal is commonly found around here.
Please note, it has no way of being "better" for it is only the method of killing and processing that changes.
The condition of the cow is not determined by the manner of slaughter, but there are arguments each way as to whether stunning or throat slitting is less painful and therefore keeping the fear and stress from changing the blood chemistry and muscle tone at slaughter.
HTH

I bought the brisket yesterday shortly before reading this thread and putting up my first post. I believe the receipt gives you the time frame for returns of perishable items. This was the first time I returned anything to RD. The process was simple.

Good Luck

Time frame for returning perishable items: 72 hours.

Fark!!! Purchased: 08/31/2013 @ 10:21am!!

I am going to have one heck of a time getting down there before 10:21 Tuesday morning!

Gotta make it, hell or high water!

wallace

All though it sounds cruel, when we slaughter lambs we also cut the neck and sever the arteries, this allows all the blood to get pump out which makes for a much better carcass come butchering time.

Sheep lose consciousness within 10 seconds. With cattle it can be much longer, 17 seconds to over 6 minutes.

I was curious, I looked. A lot of stuff on the internet about Halal vs. commercial slaughter seems to be promoting an agenda (for or against), but here are some details from an unbiased expert source:

http://www.grandin.com/ritual/rec.ritual.slaughter.html

There have been studies using EEG monitoring that suggest Halal (and Kosher) techniques do cause more pain for the animal, and also the animals are more likely to get blood in the lungs (a sign of stress) vs. commercial methods.

Sheep lose consciousness within 10 seconds. With cattle it can be much longer, 17 seconds to over 6 minutes.

I was curious, I looked. A lot of stuff on the internet about Halal vs. commercial slaughter seems to be promoting an agenda (for or against), but here are some details from an unbiased expert source:

http://www.grandin.com/ritual/rec.ritual.slaughter.html

There have been studies using EEG monitoring that suggest Halal (and Kosher) techniques do cause more pain for the animal, and also the animals are more likely to get blood in the lungs (a sign of stress) vs. commercial methods.

Thanks. I am still at a lose about this stuff. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them on this thread. The marbling looks like something from a prime rated item.

If others that have purchased this could take a look and see if theirs looked like this, that would be great.

wallace

I kind of suspect that, if it's not graded, it's probably standard. I'm curious to see how it comes out if you cook it, though. If yours is marbled, could be good.

Out here, some fo the Halal comes from better feeders than others and you have to ask. There is a Halal butcher I have bought other stuff from, and all of his cattle comes from Harris Ranch, and it is very good beef. Now, Harris Ranch is noted for selling No-roll beef, that is to say, ungraded meat. But, it is often Choice grade meat. The method of killing is just that, another way of killing an animal, and if it is being slaughtered in a kill facility, the animal is going to be panicked either way.

Since RD seems to be closed today (Labor Day) I will be cooking this HALAL brisket as a possible turnin for my comp this Saturday. I looked at more briskets today at Wally Worrld and still like the shape of the brisket that I have. It has a very consistent thickness to the flat. $39 brisket doesn't get tossed at my house :)

So, after purchasing 2 of these things :oops: and reading everyones not-so-good reviews, I returned them this morning and picked up a 16.5lb CAB (the biggest I have ever seen at RD) and a 15.9lb Choice pakcer. Both looked pretty dog-gone good. I thought that my chances of getting a decent brisket after the holiday and being there early in the morning would be slim to none. But, I was wrong.

Anyways, below are some pics of the halal stuff:

wallace

Back