THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Offered to smoke ribs for a local bar, they paid all expenses, I donated my time to try a couple new rubs and work on cook times. Funny, I think I have my wife converted to real smoked ribs. She came outside and said everyone loved the ribs but people were drowning them in sauce. I said I remember when you used to do that too.

I cooked 20 racks, 4 fatty's and a brisket flat. Some of the ribs were flat on the trays and some up in racks. The racked ribs took a good hour longer to get done. Used Smoking Guns Hot and what amounts to our 15th and 16th off version of Dr BBq’s Big Time Rub.

Also got my ad-hoc network working between the stoker and a new computer/TV (Sony LV) for our trailer. The coputer is getting mounted on the wall. And hopfully get a satellite box so we can order smut movies, I mean watch ESPN.

The trailer needs more work before we call it a kitchen. But it sure is nice not having to load and unload everything.

People paid, I mean donated between $5 and $10 for 4 bones, beans and patato salad. We get patted on the back when its free food, but if they're willing to pay. I guess we are doing OK.

Last edited:
Cool. It's nice to be able to practice like that. Good looking grub.

You going to be at the Q'lossal? I need to check out that stoker set up. I've been kick around getting one but need to see in action first.

Cool. It's nice to be able to practice like that. Good looking grub.

You going to be at the Q'lossal? I need to check out that stoker set up. I've been kick around getting one but need to see in action first.

We'll be there, please stop by. The stoker is pretty cool and does help. Next step will be internet and access outside of my network.

The computer monitors the stoker. We had been using a laptop but I kept finding it in less than favorable conditions for a computer. So while I was looking for a cheap 2nd laptop that wouldn't kill me if it crashed. I found this refurbished Sony LV, that has a built in TV tuner and mounts to the wall. I don't think its making our food any better, but I was able to watch the Masters while I was smoking that day.

You could mount a cheap little 12v winch on top of that metal tubing and pull it up to where you can then roll it. You can find those cheap winches at Habor Freight for like $49.

If not a boat wench by hand would be easy as well and cheap.

Love the rotating grates...always wanted one of those.

Back