Guinness Beef and Mushroom Pie

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I've posted this before, but it's been quite a few years. This is my version of Guinness Pie from O'Connor's Restaurant & Bar in Worcester MA. It's usually my go to meal when we visit, but the rest of their menu is equally good.

The ingredients:

Chuck Roast diced into bite-sized pieces
Baby Bella Mushrooms
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Garlic
Potatoes
Guinness!

13TsnaE.jpg

I coated the meat in a flour mixture containing S&P and Bovine Bold. Out to the Goldens', set up indirect with the Lodge Dutch oven with EVOO. Meat is browned in two separate batches, then removed and set aside -

5ZreXAP.jpg

Next up: cook the onion and celery, until both were tender and the onion translucent -

5gVu9si.jpg

Followed by the garlic and mushrooms -

q63TKvT.jpg

After 8 to 10 minutes -

6wyrD3N.jpg

Then add the carrots and potatoes which have been pre-cooked for a bit in the microwave to ensure they'll be tender -

WpIdQWa.jpg

Add the browned beef back in -

UikkDzB.jpg

And finally two bottles of Guinness -

02q0rxK.jpg

MPdnvpS.jpg

Let it simmer uncovered for about 30-40 minutes, allowing it to reduce a bit. I added a bit of cornstarch slurry to help thicken it -

PUJWqwn.jpg

I transferred it to my cast iron casserole, covered it with pie dough pieced together (store bought) and gave it a bit of an egg wash. Back out onto the Goldens' it goes around 400F until the crust browns. Doesn't look like much at first but of course it gets better -

815Bq40.jpg

Browning after about 40 minutes -

WmwdAK3.jpg

To properly crisp up the crust and complete the browning it went into the oven for the last 8 minutes. That looks a lot better -

8NHlRCR.jpg

Be1eCwy.jpg

Let it cool for 10 minutes or so, then we'll cut into it and see how we did -

UFBfJyQ.jpg

Plated pics -

muehWuQ.jpg

fON1Pk8.jpg

inEls1m.jpg

CfPzsth.jpg

ewH9O55.jpg

I'll have to admit - this was outstanding. The beef was tender, the veggies were perfectly cooked, the resultant Guinness gravy was heavenly. You could argue it's simply a beef stew cooked in Guinness with a pie crust, but the final product always seems to be more than that.

I don't know why I haven't made this in well over a year, perhaps even two but it's a great winter meal and will be back in my rotation over the next few months.

The only thing missing would be to pour a proper Black & Tan, which I struggle with. Besides I was out of Guinness and Bass Ale.

As always, thanks for reading through to the end of this post and following along with tonight's dinner. Give it a try yourself. Somewhere I have a recipe written down but it's not really needed. Veggies and quantities are up to you, the only required ingredients are the Beef, the Mushrooms and the Guinness.

Regards,
-lunchman

Please mail me a plate of that.

:gossip: I know it's already gone. Please make another batch, substituting rutabaga for the carrots if you don't mind ;)

Yeah!! Now THAT is comfort food at it's finest. I know right now my wife will scoff at the mushrooms, so I may have to make a different version for her, but I want this one in all it's glory. Well done, sir!!

Thanks all, for the kind responses.

This really is comfort food at its finest. I looked back through my original written recipe from 2010 or thereabouts. The only items I omitted this time were bay leaves and thyme. But since I used liberal amounts of Bovine Bold the thyme wasn't necessary. I should have mentioned I was dusting the meat with it as it was browning.

I did have thoughts of making homemade pie dough but I had enough prep work to do and got a late start. I will admit it would have looked a whole lot better and more magazine worthy with a single, continuous crust on top. But this is home cooking, not a restaurant. :mrgreen:

In the past I've usually baked it in the large Lodge skillet which a round pie dough covers nicely. This time I opted for my CI casserole, just because. Doesn't matter what it looks like, what matters is how good does it taste.

Again, my thanks to you all.

-Dom

Another great tutorial and recipe...thanks Dom...that will be on our menu in the near future.

Back