THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm sooo excited, this has been plaguing me for awhile now. We have a kabob dinner this Wednesday on 2/10. Stay tuned, I will be making a video on meat prep and bbq!

Hadi,

Would you be able to elaborate on the baking soda idea? Did you add some to the ground beef mix? How much?

I've tried these a couple of times. The first time was on typical skewers, and didn't work so well. Thankfully I was cooking over a grate which ended up catching all the meat as it fell off the skewers.

The second time was much better, but I used the long wide, flat skewers. These worked much better, but I have a long way to go with my technique.

I'm looking forward to your video. Based on the last one you posted it looks like you are on the right track!

I've found (when making kofta) making it a day before and letting it sit in the fridge over night helps a lot for me and my skewers

I use a teaspoon of baking soda and an egg to 3 pounds of ground meat, beef and/or lamb, and chill it for a few hours in the fridge. Also, I use very wide skewers, an inch across.

I did it almost the same way

These were the 3 main things that helped me

1. Blend onions before mixing them and squeeze the juice out the onions in a cheese cloth over a bowl. You would be surprised how much juice hides in the flesh. After de-juicing it then you can mix into meat. This will help a lot.

2. As stated in post above, use baking soda. I'm not sure exactly how much you should add because I only attempted once and I put about a half of a table spoon over 2.5 lbs of meat, and boy did that do the trick. The meat was soo sticky, I would take all of it and flip my hand upside down and the meat would not fall. CRAZY!!!!

3. Let it sit in refrigerator for about 1 hr.

Also another bonus tip when cooking is shaping the kabobs into what I call ribs. I will demonstrate in the video this Wednesday or tmrw. I'm soo excited. I have some guest coming and my wife told everyone how tasty they were the last time we made them, soo they are expecting them to be a hit lol.

A complete disaster

I couldn't wait and I wanted to try Ground chicken Kabobs, thinking that I could use the same method for Ground beef and boy was I wrong. A complete disaster. It came out just like eggs on the kabob. Kinda depressing.

I used Grounded thighs.. I tried it with 2 pounds and I kept putting baking soda until I felt it was sticky enough. I ended up putting around 2 table spoons. I know wayyyyyyy too much.

Here is How it turned out https://youtu.be/CuE7grqDW2k

Definitely will not be serving this to our guests tomorrow

Last edited:
I do it all the time. No need for baking soda or eggs. Key is your fat ratio. I've played with a bunch of cuts and the best cut for the job is chuck roll which is about 80/20. More fat will melt and fall. Less fat, the kabobs will be dry. When I used leaner cuts, I've always added fat trimmings. Key is also fresh meat and not frozen. Grinding your own makes a huge difference.

Also, your fire has to be right. Too much heat and they'll burn and fall off. Too little heat they will fall off and burn. Direct, hot mesquite charcoal works great.

As for chicken, I know you have to use thighs to get the proper ratio of fat. Hope it helps. Don't give up and practice makes perfect.

Generally there is a 4-5 inch buffer between the coals and the skewers

20140721_223215.jpg

I've even hung ground beef kabobs in my barrels

h2ukkd9h.jpg

4JVTgaBh.jpg

Oh and like Titch said. Mix your meat real well either by hand (I prefer hand) or mixer until is tacky. Wet your hands when skewering them up. If you're unsure, put the meat mix in the freezer 20 mins till you're ready to skewer so it's really cold. When you're cooking you first let the meat develop and patina then flip. Let the other side do the same and when it "grabs" on the skewer just turn them over constantly. Hope I make sense.

Last edited:
ok.. So... I read Kabob.. and I'm thinking chunks of meat.. with veggies on a kobob stick!! what is this kabob minced meat stuff?! How do you serve it? Just eat off the stick? I WANT SOME!

Checked out your videos and I have a suggestion on the fire. Let your splits or charcoal break down to embers and spread evenly. You'll get much better results. Trust me. :wink:

When I'm cooking with wood I split then down to smaller sizes

9GnLW57h.jpg

uvL1JDth.jpg

This is what you're looking for

s3Q3gUOh.jpg

You get even cooking and beautiful color on the meat

cqOWCgBh.jpg

R5Lb3bah.jpg

Here's an open face pit like yours that I use at the cabin

sRVndHsh.jpg

Then I tame the fire and put the meat on

ECkpgf2h.jpg

Sako -

Thanks for the great pics on your setup.

I dig how you use the LSG fire management basket for the kebobs. I've had great success with chicken going the other direction...cooking on skewers over the firebox opening. Much farther away from the heat sources, but came out great.

Attachments

• IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
Sako -

Thanks for the great pics on your setup.

I dig how you use the LSG fire management basket for the kebobs. I've had great success with chicken going the other direction...cooking on skewers over the firebox opening. Much farther away from the heat sources, but came out great.

Thanks Jay!!

Pretty much the same approach and the only difference is you've more heat/fire. Looks so good. :hungry:

I love the LSG basket on the weber for kabobs or searing steak over wood fire. I've probably used it more on the weber than the LSG. :laugh:

On my offset I've done kabobs like you except I have the oven option on mine so I hang them sometimes also

20150419_172531.jpg

They come out insane so I know how your chicken tasted

20150315_171738.jpg

Either way they come out perfect :thumb: I raise the coal grate up to the highest level in the firebox to replicate an open face pit

20150320_201511.jpg

Back