Grilling burger techniques

mams99

Found some matches.
I am the master griller at home. We grill nearly daily while there's enough light. We go dormant about late october to mid April to doing indoor cooking only.

I have a Weber genesis grill that I mostly use and I do love it. I have a Weber 26" kettle that I pull out for parties/events. I have a large event coming up and I began searching on how to prevent flareups and that got me to all over the internet and groups trying to figure it all out.

What I've mostly found is that grilling burgers on the grill is not recommended. That it is better on a griddle... but isn't the whole point of outdoor grill is to get that sear? And to get that smokey flavor (not burnt flavor)?

Now I don't do burgers hardly ever for ourselves at home. We do salmon on planks, some whole fish, whole chicken, pork loin, steak, brats... and once in awhile - burgers, and MANY/MOST times lots of grilled veggies grilled in a basket next to the cooking meat. But for parties? It's burgers, dogs, and a Croatian skinless sausage called čevapćići all which can cause flareups ' on the gas grill or lump coal grill.

Last night I made burgers, found a site that said to direct grill for both sides a couple minutes to sear it and get that lick of smoke, and then indirect grill them for a couple minutes. THis worked great. But it was 4 burgers.

So... do you all use a griddle for burgers? Direct flame? Indirect flame for home?

And do you do it differently for larger group cook-outs?

I cook burgers on indirect heat when grilling, however if I am grilling for a large party this isn't really an option because of the amount of food on the grill. So what I do on the gasser for large parties if I am cooking burgers is preheat my grill and when I am ready to put them on I set everything to low. I am normally a one flip/one turn meat kind of guy but when using this method I find it almost impossible not to flip more than once. I prefer to charcoal over gas for burgers. But both work well and are tasty :)

I cook burgers direct on my 22" kettle. I spread a chimney's worth of coals over most of the coal grate, leaving a cooler area just in case I need it. I make sure there is space between each coal. After the kettle comes to temp, I put the burgers on the grate and put the lid on. 5 minutes later, I flip them, put the lid back on. 5 minutes later, they are usually at 165 degrees and I serve. So long as the lid is on, flareups are rare and quickly extinguish when the lid is put on.

I use grill grates and grill direct on my Weber kettle.. Work really well to keep flare ups to a min. Plus if you want that flat top cooked effect....flip them over and you have a flat top. I do it that way when doing smash burgers. Don't fall for their spatuala...I have one and don't like it as much as my regular spat.

https://www.grillgrate.com/shop-grillgrates/standard-grillgrates/charcoal-grills/

I cook burgers direct on my 22" kettle. I spread a chimney's worth of coals over most of the coal grate, leaving a cooler area just in case I need it. I make sure there is space between each coal. After the kettle comes to temp, I put the burgers on the grate and put the lid on. 5 minutes later, I flip them, put the lid back on. 5 minutes later, they are usually at 165 degrees and I serve. So long as the lid is on, flareups are rare and quickly extinguish when the lid is put on.

This is what I do as well if using kettle. I use my flat top sometimes too. Depends what mood I'm in when cooking. The flattop is easier work though and sometimes just as good.

I also use a combination of direct/indirect cooking for almost everything including burgers and sausage.

I divided my weber kettle's charcoal area in half using fire bricks. I cook/sear the meat on both sides and then move to the indirect side to continue cooking to desired doneness without any flare-ups. This allows me to control the frequency and the amount of flare-ups without driving myself crazy. Hot dogs/frankfurters are always cooked last directly over hot coals for natural casings.

Everyone has a different method for cooking, and as long as you enjoy your food that is all that matters.

DSCN0940_zpsv5kri0i3.jpg

Direct and hot. Throw'em on, put the lid on, wait a few minutes or until they release from the grate, flip'em over, wait a few minutes then add cheese, cover again for a minute. Flare ups happen a little when the lid is off, but go away quick with the lid.

I have to admit the Blackstone has made some great burgers every time I have used it,I don't bat 1000 on any of my grills but the performer works better than the Gasser when it comes to flare ups. Lid on and flare ups die with it but the gas grill will keep on burning and don't even think about walking away with brats on it :( going to do some Italian sausages and pepper and onions soon will report back :)

Back