THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
I did this a loooonngggg time ago with my old point and shoot which was well, terrible as are any cameras that don't have an adjustable external flash, at least in terms of taking food pictures, so I decided to redo it entirely:

Sounds nuts right? Grilled salad?! I thought the same thing, but decided to try it anyway. I was ridiculed soundly by friends and family who thought this was some sort of joke. Take the ribbing and do it anyone. It’s an amazing recipe. Something about the combination of the charred flavor, the crispness of the lettuce and the fresh grated Romano cheese is simply amazing…

Ingredients:
2 heads of Romaine lettuce, the leafy outer leaves removed and sliced lengthwise
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/2 cup of fresh grated Romano cheese (any hard grated cheese could be used like Asiago or parmesian)
Course salt and fresh cracked pepper
Serves four
Grilled-Lettuce-004.jpg

Prep and cooking is even easier than compiling the ingredients. First, remove the outer leafy leaves as they will get wilted before the rest of the lettuce picks up a nice char:
Grilled-Lettuce-005.jpg

With these two heads, I had quite a few leaves I had to pull away:
Grilled-Lettuce-016.jpg

With the outer leaves removed, the heads look like giant hearts of romaine:
Grilled-Lettuce-008.jpg

Rinse the heads under cold water:
Grilled-Lettuce-014.jpg

Now place the heads on a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Then cut them in half lengthwise:
Grilled-Lettuce-018.jpg

Grilled-Lettuce-023.jpg

Now time for the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Always lay the flat side down first when doing this. That way you apply these ingredients on the flat side last and thus it will be facing up and not flat on the cutting board which is where all the oil, garlic, salt and black pepper will wind up and require a second coating. I didn’t get shots of them being applied to the curved side first, so in these pictures I have skipped ahead. First drizzle the olive oil:
Grilled-Lettuce-048.jpg

Then dust with the granulated garlic and sprinkle with coarse salt and fresh cracked black pepper:
Grilled-Lettuce-050.jpg

Grilled-Lettuce-056.jpg

Grilled-Lettuce-058.jpg

Again, apply the oil, garlic, pepper and salt to the curved side first and then repeat for the flat side.

Ready for the grill:
Grilled-Lettuce-062.jpg

Now off to the grill which I prepared for direct grilling over hot coals. This is a quick process, so don’t go to the bathroom or refill your drink after you start. Place the half heads right over a hot fire:
Grilled-Lettuce-073.jpg

This only takes a couple of minutes so keep checking the underside. Look for the lettuce to blacken a bit. A nice char is the desired result without having the lettuce wilt too much under the heat:
Grilled-Lettuce-085.jpg

Notice how I have them not quite flipped over. With one side being rounded, in order to get an even char all the way around, I have to char them in three phases with the curved side getting a sear on two sides, almost like a triangle.

During the cooking process, some of the leaves you cut through are going to pull away from the head like so:
Grilled-Lettuce-086.jpg

Pull them free with tongs and stuff them between the grill grates or toss them in the trash.

Once all four half heads are charred evenly they should look similar to this:
Grilled-Lettuce-095.jpg

You can plate this a couple of ways. You can remove from the grill, lop off the bottom inch or two (where sediment can build up even if you wash well) and put into a bowl where you add the grated cheese and toss, serving with tongs. The other option is to serve the half heads individually as I did here, adding the cheese as soon as it leaves the grill:
Grilled-Lettuce-106.jpg

On the table and ready to serve:
Grilled-Lettuce-111.jpg

This may be the perfect side to go with a grilled steak. Once the steak is pulled off to rest, throw the lettuce on. The steak, depending on thickness, should be perfectly rested when your grilled salad is ready to be plated.
If you have any questions about the above dish please feel free to comment below or email me.

And you can follow us on our Grillin Fools Facebook page and post your own grillin pictures and join the grillin conversation. You can also follow us on Twitter @GrillinFool.

Awesome!!! I also grill some green onions with it and then toss with sprinkle with parm, a little feta, some jalapeno olives the homemade basalmic vinegrette!!!! awesome!!!!

Awesome!!! I also grill some green onions with it and then toss with sprinkle with parm, a little feta, some jalapeno olives the homemade basalmic vinegrette!!!! awesome!!!!

I do grilled green onions on their own. Never thought to combine the two. Maybe I need to do a grilled greens salad. Maybe do some arugula and maybe mustard greens for some bite and mix it all together. Maybe some purple cabbage for color. Something tells me I'm going to be real regular as I try to perfect that recipe!

I make a grilled salad with romaine, onions, peppers, tomatoes, green onions, shredded hard cheese and steak, chicken or shrimp. Always a crowd pleaser.

I don't do this as often as I should. Grilled lettuce is great with a homemade Caesar dressing and lots of fresh grated parmesan or even just a drizzle of really good evoo

I do a rough chop on the veggies and put them on one of those metal thingies with the holes in it that's sitting right over the fire and is hot as blazes on one end and not over the fire on the other. It covers the diameter of my 22.5. I put the slowest cooking veggies on first and add the quicker cooking veggies in turn. Last on are the quartered tomatoes or if I'm using green onions, then they're last. I cook the veggies so they're still a little crunchy. When they're done they go inside with foil over them while I grill the romaine. I rough chop the cooked romaine, add the other veggies and toss with vinaigrette or bleu cheese dressing. Then I add the protein. I'll shoot it next time I do it.

Back