Grilled Cioppino

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
Or - Cioppino on the grill

I have been seeing some delicious looking Paella on here lately. Trying to limit carbs so we went with a Cioppino instead. There is also a Throwdown going on for the month:
“Foods of Love: Pick three or more”
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224567
We have included at least 12 of the required 3 ingredients from the “Love Food List”
Basil, Bay leaf, Celery, Chile pepper, Clams, Garlic, Lobster, Pepper, Red wine, Scallops, Shrimp, Tomato.
OK – Let’s get this party started!
Boiled the crab back in some fish stock for extra flavor, cooled and strained.

View attachment 122475

Smoked some Razor clams and a couple tomatoes. Clams off after absorbing some smoke to prevent from getting tough. Tomatoes went longer to just wrinkling up then peeled and diced.

View attachment 122476

Here is most of the players

View attachment 122477

Got a full chimney of charcoal and some chunks of hickory on the weber with the Stok grates and a Dutch oven. Added the butter to sauté the veggies

View attachment 122478

Onions, celery, and red pepper in for the sauté

View attachment 122479

When happy added some tomato paste. Just after the picture added the minced garlic

View attachment 122480

Added the liquids: Fish stock, wine, tomato sauce (canned by MSD), chicken stock, V8, 5 pepper bloody Mary mix, and some port along with the bay leaves, basil, parsley, Chile pepper, S&P, and some HDD.

View attachment 122481

Bring to a boil – about this time realized that we just might need a bigger pot!

View attachment 122482

The larger Dutch oven has feet on it but removing the center grate, it fit nicely in the center directly on the coals. The Weber lid di fit with each of the Dutch ovens and used during the 30 minute simmer time. It worked well and was just on the edge of a low boil.

View attachment 122483

Added the little neck clams, and the cubed halibut

View attachment 122484

After about five minutes added the scallop meat, Lobster, and shrimp.
After a couple more minutes, added the smoked razor clams and the Dungeness crab legs.

View attachment 122485

All in – the aroma is fantastic, the liquid did thicken slightly but not to the stew level. I called it stouewp !

View attachment 122486

Plated with some crustini bread and butter and toped with green onions, a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese and some crab body meat

View attachment 122487

There was LOTS of wonderful seafood and the flavor all the ingredients made a very delicious meal. I would do this again and not change a thing!

View attachment 122488

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Wow, that looks fantastic SD. Another recipe I need to add to my must try list. Thanks for the post!

Back