THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Like I said, I didn't say it WAS marking, only that I might be worried about the judges considering it marked...

its my understanding that it has to look intentional and deliberate. Unless your grate is made out of steel alphabet letters or weird symbols, you'll be fine.

If I received a box of ribs that had grill marks on them, as a judge, I would say this team tried to go "Applebee's" on me....and that's not a compliment. But, I've been wrong before.

Contrived Entry ? HAHAHAHA Every successful cook has a contrived entry. You can't just slap a piece of meant on the smoker and expect to do well. Your funny.

this word "contrived" refers to an old bigmista thread. its an inside joke. but... not without merit. i think he had a chicken thread that essentially looked so perfect someone called it "contrived" and a big ruckus occured.

I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

lol u said
'shiney face' lol ahhh colonel angus bbq.... martha loved it so,,, and every time she looked down the shady thicket, yes, it was colonel angus' shiney face she saw staring up from the cotton patch.

I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

yeah but who is silly enough to do ribs bone up????:shocked:

My biggest concern with your grill mark idea is that the ribs might stick to the super-hot grate surface. This would effectively hurt you in the appearance category.

I dont see an upside to it, but I would love to see your pictures when you try it.

Best of luck!

My biggest concern with your grill mark idea is that the ribs might stick to the super-hot grate surface. This would effectively hurt you in the appearance category.

I dont see an upside to it, but I would love to see your pictures when you try it.

Best of luck!

This was my point, I dont see any real upside. If you haven't been getting
good appearance scores it wasn't for the lack of grill marks, so I'd work on
that (why the appearance score wasn't satisfactory). If it was satisfactory,
then you only have opportunity to the down side, not upside.

JMHO.

If I received a box of ribs that had grill marks on them, as a judge, I would say this team tried to go "Applebee's" on me....and that's not a compliment. But, I've been wrong before.

One of the first things I was taught in judging class was that you shouldn't compare an entry with anything. It should be judged on it's own merit.

Perhaps a refresher course is in order.

Well I guess doing it purely for appearance doesn't make all that much sense, but there are other benefits to grilling the ribs. Caramelizing the sauce adds another layer of flavor that to me is very appealing. I don't grill my ribs at this time but I have in the past. I achieve the same end result using other means.

Hey Steve, you are more than welcome to keep posting rib tips up here as long as you desire. I'm listening. :thumb::laugh:

Last edited:
LOL ok just so everyone knows, I do know that this is an out of the box unorthodox idea. And honestly even if I like the way it looks after I try it, I will most likely NEVER try this in a comp.

Mostly it was a thought that popped into my head the other day, and I thought it would make for interesting conversation. And it would seem that it has :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Haha! Right or wrong, I think you might have just convinced me! I freaking hate Applebee's! That place is living proof that most people eat with their eyes, because if most people judged a restaurant by the taste of their food, it would have gone out of business a long time ago IMHO

Properly Seasoned Grill

I have seen this concept work for a team (very well) in one event and blow up on that same team at another. I am not a fan of it as I think that it can detract from "tenderness" if the bark gets too crisp.

Said team had a grill that was slimed up pretty decent and hot and the ribs looked awesome and didn't get overly crisp...they took 2nd place at that event. The next week it didn't work as well and they took 29th place.

The final assessment was that it is too inconsistent and risky to nail it in a comp situation.

Back