Greetings from Greenwood, IN

AugieSr

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Augie
Howdy Gang!

I’m Augie and recently decided to take up smoking...food that is. I’ve always enjoyed grilling and spending time outdoors and thought expanding my skills into learning about smokers was a natural fit.

While casually beginning my search, I came across a used smoker in the local classifieds. Always stored indoors and well maintained, I googled the brand and model. I found this site along the way and only then discovered that the (original) New Braunfels Bandera for sale less than a mile from my home was essentially the holy grail of vertical offset smokers with a seemingly large following. This unit has no mods yet and I’m far from a pro. I nearly ruined some cheddar sausages on the first try with just ash wood I had laying around...overly Smokey taste and no real temp control to speak of. Second try was marginally better with lump charcoal and mesquite wood chunks, but overcooked a rack of chicken tenders...great taste, just a little dried out.

I’m excited to dig deeper into the forums now and learn the right way to update the smoker, nurse a good blaze and impress the family with some yummy grub...all while enjoying an adult beverage or two. Looking forward to getting to know a few of the veterans in these parts!

Thanks in advance for any advice provided,
Augie

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Back