Greed is a horrible thing!

Yeah Neil, let's ask Mrs. Mista, shall we? Your arse will get shot down SO fast! :lol::lol::lol: "Hey honey, can I go to Kansas and BBQ with these two women, Kim and Char?" Let us know how that works for ya! :lol::wink:

Hey, I never said to leave Mrs. Mista home......I would love for the family to come out....esp. Morgan. I need to get a baby fix in.:lol:

Yeah Neil, let's ask Mrs. Mista, shall we? Your arse will get shot down SO fast! :lol::lol::lol: "Hey honey, can I go to Kansas and BBQ with these two women, Kim and Char?" Let us know how that works for ya! :lol::wink:

I read this and called MrsMista and said I'm going Kansas to cook with Kim and Char because I'm the man and I said so!!!

Then her voicemail came on and I hung up.

I haven't competed yet. I did start scouting at some contests last year. One thing I noticed was that alot of the spectators were wanting to buy BBQ while there. There were few people if any able to sell due to Health Dept regs. If you are already meeting Health Dept codes, maybe you could cater at the comps. That way you would be there to experiance the event and still be doin business. Might be a PITA with different counties and all that though.

I just got off the phone with her. She said if I want to go to Kansas, I'm on my own. I think the words flat and boring came up a few times too. She only drove thru though.

Make money, contest cost to much, do one or two contests to see friends but take the paying jobs. You will be happier in the long run. It is time to get paid you have got expences

Aaron,
I like your thinking. We are having a price increase for '08, with the thought being it may free us up a bit. My problem was touched on earlier, and that being if I compete, I'm there to do well and / or win.

I know that with the right catering's I can hit home run's and it's all up to me, not a group of people that may or may not ever cook a contest, telling me if my BBQ is any good. That being said, I'll keep answering the phone for paying jobs, stay on our board for the Washington, MO contest and maybe judge one or two local contests.

To tell a story out of school, that means as much to me as a contest win;

In '06 we catered a local Christmas Party for 300. Charged about $5,000. Good days work. In '07 they called in November and advised they had booked "a very large and reputable St. Louis BBQ Restaurant Chain". January 4, 2008 they called and said "put us on your calendar for this December". I'm thinking that big chain food was not so great!!!!
Makes me think it was Bandanas

Me thinks you are correct. I have had 2 customers try them and come back, citing poor quality, poorer service and hi pricing (2 meats, 2 sides, dropped off, for 130 - $2,000). My 2 meat, 2 side price is closer to $1,500 than $2,000..........

Me thinks you are correct. I have had 2 customers try them and come back, citing poor quality, poorer service and hi pricing (2 meats, 2 sides, dropped off, for 130 - $2,000). My 2 meat, 2 side price is closer to $1,500 than $2,000..........

That is another place that you either love or hate.
However most people that hate it are those you dont Q or have tried to Q.

Back