THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Tim, it was the pork butts that were done early. The brisket was my fault. I left it in the smoker unwrapped and it basically nuked it! But we figure if we soak it in beef broth for about a month, it'll re-hydrate enough to be edible! :lol:

I hope no one takes what I've said wrong... I'm not blaming judges, visitors or anything else. The total fault lies with me. I was just out of synch all weekend. But like you say, you gotta pick yourself up and go on and do better next time. It was definitely a humbling experience. We got pounded by a lot of awesome teams yesterday. We got what we deserved! :wink: Now I'm going to Platte City Friday to get better! :wink:

Jeff,

Shake it off buddy. I know you make better Que than the results. You had one bad day. Thats all. Bristol was our first cook of the year and I am chalking it up to knocking the cobwebs off. We hope to do much better this time. No booze for my brother and I certainly will feel better. Let's go out and show everyone just how good we both can do next contest.

It occurs to me that part of the consistency that separates the champions from some of us who WANT to be champions is that they are able to let problems, emergencies and other distracting stuff roll off like water on a duck's back. When something bad or unexpected happens, they don't let it snowball. I think my weekend snowballed on me. It's not necessarily all just the cook and how they have their processes down but also how they deal with adversity. Does that make sense? Maybe as I get older, I'll master that. I'll admit that I get easily frustrated with stuff, not just in competitions.

Guy, I suppose I should wait to see the results first but if I was guessing, I failed badly in accomplishing my goal of finishing in the top 1/3 of every contest I enter this year.

Jeff_in_KC said:
We got what we deserved! :wink: Now I'm going to Platte City Friday to get better! :wink:

Amen to that. Roll on into the next weekend and it is always better.

We'll see you at Platte City - and win or lose, on Sat. night - we'll solve world hunger. :rolleyes:

Platte City is one of my Nemisis contests, I always get my arse handed to me there. If I can get even one call, I'll be extatic. But then it is on to the Pork Bar-B-Qlossal.... I'm expecting to be Mr. Humble farker all summer long - and loving every minute of it :twisted:

Jeff, nice score on the pork. Maybe I should finish mine a couple hours early next time. 29th is very respectable. I was most proud of my pork and it was my lowest score. I was scared of my ribs and was 46th. Go figure.

Dustin, to do it right, you'll need to pull it off the cooker no later than 7:30 am. That's key. :roll:

OMG! I am stunned! Well I'll tell you there's no way on earth that we deserved 29th in pork! No way. And I seriously question the 54th in brisket too. This must have been one of those times you get lucky and get "the right table". I sure wish I could talk to those two sets of judges and see what they thought was so good about that stuff. And it holds true... the two I thought I did better in, we scored worse.

Congrats to all of you guys! It looks like we all had a couple good categories and a couple not so good ones.

UPDATED - Actually, I just went and looked at the corrected version of the overall open results and it seems that every Brethren team finished in the top 50% of a very tough field...

8 - Pellet Envy
26 - Chick 'n Pig
61 - MoKan Meatheads
63 - Big Creek BBQ
86 - Doorbusters
98 - Sauced Pigs
108 - River City Smokehouse
110 - Bonesmokers

I didn't miss anyone, did I?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Jeff. My worst finish since my first contest. Dustin I though my ribs were not my best, but I'll take the 16th. I just need to bury the Kobe brisket. Worst score ever in the catagory. Are they going to mail out score sheets?

Jeff, thanks for posting the results. We finished 26th for both the invitational and the open? My brisket did not score well in the open??? I can't wait to see the score sheets to see what happened????

Jeff, it seems you are down a bit.Try to let it go, pick yourself back up and get back in there.You were pretty excited about cooking and you were happy with your practices. Do not change a thing just yet. Give yourself a chance to adjust to competitions. I know from experience, it is tough to let it go. Just ask Solidkick. He talked to me for almost 3 hours after a horrible loss in Laurie last year. We turned in the best Q I had ever done. But it scored the worst of any contest we had done. I hope this helps.

I also wanted to mention that my wife Denise ended up 12th overall in the sides category. 1st in vegetables, 6th in potatoes, and 74th in beans?.This was her first time to ever enter sides. I am very happy for her and the Spicewine oven.

Congratulations to you Denise of Chikn'Pig! That was awsome!:eusa_clap Nice meeting you Skip. Always nice to put a face to this game.

Things for me just went wrong from the start of leaving home.:roll: I took Sunday off and today I am working on the Q again.

Jeff, I may yet end up in Joplin this weekend, I'm still trying to convince the spousal unit of it.

Who all is going? Mark from Great Grills stopped me in Walmart yesterday and asked me if I was going and I said no cause he was and there would be any money left to win since he was going to be there.:grin:

I gotta tell you guys, for the competition we were up against, I 'll take 86th any day. 210 teams of the best and most dedicated, I am happy. This was only my 3rd contest and I am thrilled to death. I always knew I had good que, and this was somewhat of a bad batch, with all thats going on. Come park your arse in my driveway and try a sample. Throw out the BS appearance score, and I am there.

The Brethren were served proud. Wayne, Jeff, we should all stand tall and be proud! 210!

It was my first contest ever, and I was pretty happy with the #78 in Chicken, especially considering how amateur my turn in box appeared compared to Clays Ribs and Brisket boxes. I wound up tanking in Pork, was like #161 or something like that. Ugh!:frown: I'm glad to see some good representation from this forum doing well, and congrats to Rod on the Invitational GC!!!:eusa_clap
I only got to meet DoorBusters at the comp, I was an IDIOT and didn't print a map or list of who was there. I guess that's one of those things you "LEARN" at your first comp!

Doorbusters said:
I gotta tell you guys, for the competition we were up against, I 'll take 86th any day. 210 teams of the best and most dedicated, I am happy. This was only my 3rd contest and I am thrilled to death. I always knew I had good que, and this was somewhat of a bad batch, with all thats going on. Come park your arse in my driveway and try a sample. Throw out the BS appearance score, and I am there.

The Brethren were served proud. Wayne, Jeff, we should all stand tall and be proud! 210!

Oh heck, you know I am. Like I always say when people drop by to see my smoker: I looked good losing! :lol:

Back