Grass Fed Beef

Maybe not gamy but more of a beefy taste. he fat will also taste different. I was raise on grass feed , but I like grain feed better.

I buy grass fed beef from specific ranchers, I also buy grain finished beef from specific ranchers or brands, I do ths because there are differences. In tems of cooking, I have found that grass fed and finisehd is leaner and will typically cook slower, but, will dry out sooner and at lower temperatures than grain finished beef. I prefer Northern California cattle for grass finished as it is finished on sweet grass. For grain finished, I get beef from Central CA, as the grain is sweeter, rendering sweeter fat.

I have cooked several grass fed briskets and chucks with excellent results. They can be cooked in very similar ways with regular commodity beef with similar results.

JD I'm interested to know how the other cuts taste. I wonder if the guys in the 'Competition' forum might have some ideas?

If it's to gamey try adding a little cumin with your seasoning. We eat a lot of whitetail deer which is pretty gamey and a little cumin always seems to mellow it out a bit.
All of the grass fed I've eaten came from the same pasture, so I have to believe it's the fat content of the cut vs the type of grass. The gamey flavor isn't very bad, it just needs to be seasoned a bit. Once seasoned, the meat becomes full of beef flavor. More than the usual supermarket stuff.

I'd bet cumin would work wonders. I don't get the grass fed steaks very often, only when the pasture owner offers them. It's happening even less now that he's advancing in years, but I'll try adding a bit of cumin should he offer them again.

Back